Sir Patrick Stewart originally refused to return for Star Trek: Picard (but we’re so glad he changed his mind)
Sir Patrick Stewart admitted that he didn’t initially want to return to Jean-Luc Picard for the new Star Trek spin-off – but ultimately couldn’t resist.
The actor, who was last seen playing the iconic Next Generation Captain back in 2002, is returning to our screens with his own adventure at the beginning of next year.
But speaking at New York Comic-Con last weekend, where the team dropped the trailer for the upcoming season, he admitted that he was not sold on the idea completely.
Star Trek project boss Alex Kurtzman admitted he initially wanted a one-off appearance from the Captain, as part of the show’s Short Treks projects, which are small episodes created to slot in between seasons of Star Trek: Discovery.
But the actor refused the idea, causing the team to push him to try and convince him otherwise.
However, after showrunner Michael Chabon sent Sir Patrick a brief on what they were planning to do – and it grew from there to the series it became.
Speaking about his role in getting the legendary star on board, Michael said: ‘I’ve lived with these imaginary worlds since I was 10 years old.
‘From that moment until the day Akiva proposed this to me, I’ve never stopped living in these imaginary worlds.’
On what to expect for the character when he makes his return, writer, director and producer Akiva Goldsman revealed: ‘We wanted to let the ensuing years that have happened for us also have happened for Jean-Luc.
‘We spent a lot of time, collaboratively, filling in the intervening years,’ he said.
‘We know pretty much everything that happened in those 20 years. I include in “we” Patrick, who is the singular expert in Picard.’
Running for 10 episodes Picard will be the famous character on the cusp of retirement after Star Trek: Next Generation.
It will air in the US on CBS All Access, before becoming available internationally every Friday on Amazon Prime Video.
After his years as a star fleet captain, Picard has retired and has set up home in his vineyard, willing the days away in his new content life.
But he is soon joined by a mysterious young woman Dahj in the new chapter of his life, who he seeks to help after coming to believe is in imminent danger.
Star Trek: Picard launches 24th January 2020 on Amazon Prime Video.
Got a showbiz story?
If you've got a story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk Entertainment team by emailing us email@example.com, calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page - we'd love to hear from you.Home › Entertainment › TV
More on this: 561 stories
- Jared Harris, Lee Pace Lead Foundation, Apple's Asimov Series Adaptation
- Jared Harris, Lee Pace to Star on David S. Goyer's 'Foundation' Adaptation at Apple TV+
- Astronaut Wearing Star Trek Uniform, Quoting Janeway in Space Goes Viral
- 10 Best Outfits In Star Trek, Ranked
- Sandbox VR Raises Another $11 Million From a Group of Famous Backers
- Star Trek's First Post-Credits Scene Released Online
- How space affects women and men differently
- Paramount's Thinking Of Doing A Star Trek: Picard Movie
- We Need Tig Notaro's Jett Reno as a Star Trek: Discovery Regular
- Star Trek Producer Comments on Possiblity of a Discovery Movie
- Star Trek: Discovery Producer Addresses The Possibility Of A Movie
- Star Wars and Star Trek: Why are there no seatbelts on spaceships? AMAZING official reason
- 'Star Trek: Short Treks' Review: Did Spock Just Laugh in 'Q&A'?
- Top 10 Vulcans In Star Trek, Ranked
- What Christopher Lloyd Has Done Since Back To The Future
- Star Trek: Discovery Is Bringing Back Deep Space Nine's Alien Races
- Star Trek's Nickelodeon Animated Series Will Tell Serialized Stories
- John Cho Injured on Cowboy Bebop Set, Production Halted
- 10 Worst Outfits In Star Trek, Ranked
- Star Trek: 5 Scientifically Accurate Details (& 5 That Make No Sense)
- 'Jojo Rabbit' Composer Michael Giacchino on Setting the Right Tone
- Star Trek: The Next Generation: Collateral Damage Book Review
- 'Star Trek: Discovery' Producer Sets Crime Drama at CBS
- Every Arrow Easter egg and callback in the season 8 premiere
- Nasa unveils new spacesuit for next Moon landing