Supergirl's Final Pre-Crisis Episode Title is a Star Trek Homage
With the fifth season of Supergirl officially underway, The CW has revealed the title for the season's eighth episode, which will be the last to air before the Arrowverse's Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover event begins. And the episode title is one that is sure to sound familiar to sci-fi fans.
Supergirl Season 5, Episode 8 is titled "The Wrath of Rama Khan." This, of course, is a reference to the 1982 Star Trek film, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. While a synopsis for the episode has yet to be released, it appears as though the character Rama Khan is preparing to make some major moves.
In the DC comic books, Rama Khan is one of the leaders of the League of Ancients. In Supergirl, the character is played by X-Files alum Mitch Pileggi, who was revealed to have boarded the DC television series last month alongside Stranger Things' Cara Buono, who plays Gamemnae, the League's other leader.Click the button below to start this article in quick view. Start now
Released in theaters 37 years ago, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan sees the crew of the Enterprise locked in a battle against Khan Noonien Singh, an exceedingly strong and intelligent superman with a vendetta against Captain James T. Kirk and his comrades. To this very day, the The Wrath of Khan is considered by fans to be one of the best, if not the best feature film in the franchise.
Played by the late Ricardo Montalbán, Khan made his debut over 50 years ago in the 1967 Star Trek: The Original Series episode "Space Seed." Following an unsuccessful coup against the Enterprise, Khan and his people were left marooned, setting his quest for vengeance in the aptly-titled Wrath of Khan into motion.
Khan's legacy has endured throughout the decades. In addition to his story partially inspiring the plot of 2013's Star Trek Into Darkness (in which the role was taken over by Benedict Cumberbatch), the film is frequently referenced in pop culture, with Supergirl Season 5 being only the latest example.
Airing Sundays at 9 p.m. ET/PT on The CW, Supergirl stars Melissa Benoist as Kara Danvers, David Harewood as Martian Manhunter, Mehcad Brooks as Jimmy Olsen and Chyler Leigh as Alex Danvers.
More on this: 561 stories
- Jared Harris, Lee Pace Lead Foundation, Apple's Asimov Series Adaptation
- Jared Harris, Lee Pace to Star on David S. Goyer's 'Foundation' Adaptation at Apple TV+
- Astronaut Wearing Star Trek Uniform, Quoting Janeway in Space Goes Viral
- 10 Best Outfits In Star Trek, Ranked
- Sandbox VR Raises Another $11 Million From a Group of Famous Backers
- Star Trek's First Post-Credits Scene Released Online
- How space affects women and men differently
- Paramount's Thinking Of Doing A Star Trek: Picard Movie
- We Need Tig Notaro's Jett Reno as a Star Trek: Discovery Regular
- Star Trek Producer Comments on Possiblity of a Discovery Movie
- Star Trek: Discovery Producer Addresses The Possibility Of A Movie
- Star Wars and Star Trek: Why are there no seatbelts on spaceships? AMAZING official reason
- 'Star Trek: Short Treks' Review: Did Spock Just Laugh in 'Q&A'?
- Top 10 Vulcans In Star Trek, Ranked
- What Christopher Lloyd Has Done Since Back To The Future
- Star Trek: Discovery Is Bringing Back Deep Space Nine's Alien Races
- Star Trek's Nickelodeon Animated Series Will Tell Serialized Stories
- John Cho Injured on Cowboy Bebop Set, Production Halted
- 10 Worst Outfits In Star Trek, Ranked
- Star Trek: 5 Scientifically Accurate Details (& 5 That Make No Sense)
- 'Jojo Rabbit' Composer Michael Giacchino on Setting the Right Tone
- Star Trek: The Next Generation: Collateral Damage Book Review
- 'Star Trek: Discovery' Producer Sets Crime Drama at CBS
- Every Arrow Easter egg and callback in the season 8 premiere
- Nasa unveils new spacesuit for next Moon landing