Chabon: The Present Is The Future In Star Trek: Picard
In a new interview at Star Trek.com, Michael Chabon talked about working on Star Trek: Picard and the topics ranged from being naïve at the beginning to working with the cast including Sir Patrick Stewart.
Stewart’s input to the show was valuable and the actor wanted his new series to be relevant. “What was important to Patrick Stewart [was] looking around at the world we’re living in now,” said Chabon. “He very much let us know he wanted the story to resonate to our times. I think Patrick sensed correctly, or knew, that Star Trek from the very first season, has always squarely, directly, and head-on grappled with contemporary issues.
“I mean, science fiction, people think it’s about the future. It isn’t. Science fiction is about the present. It always has been. Science fiction holds a mirror up to the present…a distorting mirror up to the present. It exaggerates certain features or traits that we see in our world around us now. It extrapolates from them [and] it pushes them to their limits, and Star Trek always fearlessly did that.
“From the very beginning, it was very much part of Gene Roddenberry‘s modus operandi, stated in the original documents that led to the creation of Star Trek and that’s still what Star Trek can do today and they continue to do that over the course of subsequent shows.
“One of my favorite episodes of any Star Trek ever is the episode of Deep Space Nine, Far Beyond the Stars... [It] squarely takes on the subject of race and racism in America, not in the future, in the past, in a really interesting way, but in a way that also clearly resonates on many levels with science fiction fandom as it currently exists or as it existed when that episode of Deep Space Nine was made. You know, that’s what Star Trek‘s for, in addition to all the other things that it may be for.
“…That’s all Patrick was really reminding us to do.”
See the video here.
What do you think? Chat with other fans in the at The Trek BBS.
More on this: 561 stories
- Patrick Stewart accepted Star Trek Picard role on two conditions
- 5 Great Fan Theories About Star Trek: Picard That Make Too Much Sense (& 5 That Are Just Impossible)
- New movies on Amazon Prime January 2020: Full list of what's new this month
- Sir Patrick Stewart: My embarrassment over Star Trek incident
- Star Trek: Picard Gives Fans a Sneak Peek at the New Number One
- Patrick Stewart And Ian McKellen Reunite At Star Trek: Picard Premiere
- Star Trek has always been about challenging the notion of right or wrong
- The Journey Begins in New Star Trek: Picard Promo
- Star Trek's Jeri Ryan explains why she "panicked" when she first read the Picard script
- "Star Trek": No Rules... No Regulations... All "Picard" [PROMO]
- The Essential Picard: The Best of Both Worlds
- The Ready Room: Wil Wheaton Set to Host Picard Aftershow
- Star Trek Beyond's Kalara Is One Of The The Series' Most Tragic Villains
- Some New Star Trek: Picard Spoilers
- 'Star Trek: Voyager' Turns 25 Years Old Today
- Every TNG Character Missing From The New Show
- Sir Ian McKellen warned Sir Patrick Stewart Star Trek would ruin career
- How 'Star Trek: Voyager' Missed Out on Greatness
- Star Trek: Will Jason Isaacs return to Discovery? Star teases comeback
- Star Trek: Picard's Patrick Stewart confirms Data only appears in a dream
- 'Star Trek: Picard': Everything from 'ST:D' we hope *not* to see
- Sir Patrick Stewart speaks of Brexit sorrow at Star Trek launch
- Patrick Stewart brands Brexit 'the grimmest thing'
- 'Star Trek' return 'irresistible,' says Patrick Stewart at new series premiere
- Star Trek Short Treks are the newest contextual tool for CBS All Access