Jared Harris & Lee Pace to Lead Apple’s ‘Foundation’ Series
Apple today announced that Emmy Award-nominee Jared Harris (Chernobyl) and Lee Pace (Halt and Catch Fire) will star in Apple’s upcoming Foundation, a new drama series based on Isaac Asimov’s novel series of the same name.
Foundation chronicles the epic saga of The Foundation, a band of exiles who discover that the only way to save the Galactic Empire from destruction is to defy it. Harris will star as Hari Seldon, a mathematical genius who predicts the demise of the empire. Pace will star alongside as Brother Day, thecurrent Emperor of the Galaxy.
David S. Goyer (The Dark Knight, Terminator: Dark Fate) will serve as showrunner and executive producer for the series. Skydance Television is producing the series with David Ellison, Dana Goldberg (World War Z, Star Trek: Beyond), Marcy Ross (Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan) serving as executive producers. Josh Friedman (Avatar 4,Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles) and Robyn Asimov also serve as executive producers for the series.
Originally published as a short story in 1942, Asimov’s Foundation went on to become a trilogy for decades before additional material expanded the series to seven volumes. It feels like we’ve been waiting decades for the adaptation to get made. Roland Emmerich tried to launch a feature version at Sony in 2011. The rights lapsed in 2014 and HBO picked them up for Jonathan Nolan to turn into a series; he opted for Westworld instead.
Now, with AppleTV+ ready to launch on November 1st, the company is making strides to stay competitive in the streaming-content game by putting some momentum behind this long-awaited project. Harris and Pace are two of the best working today and I can’t wait to see the two of them together on screen. What remains to be seen is if Goyer & Co. can bring the huge ideas of Asimov’s series to bear in a way that does them justice and resonates with audiences. We don’t have a timetable on Foundation just yet, so expect to wait a little while longer to find out.
More on this: 580 stories
- New Star Trek: Picard Trailer Brings Back the Enterprise-D
- The Essential Picard: Chain of Command
- How Children of Mars Sets Up Star Trek: Picard
- Patrick Stewart was initially hated for Star Trek's Jean-Luc Picard
- Star Trek: 10 Most Hilarious DS9 Memes
- Star Trek: Voyager Would Have Been Completely Different Under Captain Riker
- Marvel: 5 Alien Superheroes Who Would Fit In On The Starship Enterprise (& 5 That Wouldn't)
- Which Star Trek Movies & Episodes You Need To See To Understand Picard
- 'Star Trek: Picard' world premiere draws huge crowds and sci-fi stars
- Star Trek's Picard reveals how major TNG characters will return
- New Star Trek: Picard Promo Features Data's Return
- Star Trek Discovery Season 3: DS9's Trill Aliens Explained
- Star Trek: Picard Featurette Teases A More Complex World
- Picard's Patrick Stewart says it's "inconceivable" for him to ever give up acting
- Star Trek: How Picard Connects to Both the Prime and Kelvin Timelines
- The 10 Worst Episodes Of Star Trek: Discovery, According To IMDb
- Patrick Stewart accepted Star Trek Picard role on two conditions
- 5 Great Fan Theories About Star Trek: Picard That Make Too Much Sense (& 5 That Are Just Impossible)
- New movies on Amazon Prime January 2020: Full list of what's new this month
- Sir Patrick Stewart: My embarrassment over Star Trek incident
- Star Trek: Picard Gives Fans a Sneak Peek at the New Number One
- Patrick Stewart And Ian McKellen Reunite At Star Trek: Picard Premiere
- Star Trek has always been about challenging the notion of right or wrong
- The Journey Begins in New Star Trek: Picard Promo
- Star Trek's Jeri Ryan explains why she "panicked" when she first read the Picard script