Jared Harris & Lee Pace to Lead Apple’s ‘Foundation’ Series
Apple today announced that Emmy Award-nominee Jared Harris (Chernobyl) and Lee Pace (Halt and Catch Fire) will star in Apple’s upcoming Foundation, a new drama series based on Isaac Asimov’s novel series of the same name.
Foundation chronicles the epic saga of The Foundation, a band of exiles who discover that the only way to save the Galactic Empire from destruction is to defy it. Harris will star as Hari Seldon, a mathematical genius who predicts the demise of the empire. Pace will star alongside as Brother Day, thecurrent Emperor of the Galaxy.
David S. Goyer (The Dark Knight, Terminator: Dark Fate) will serve as showrunner and executive producer for the series. Skydance Television is producing the series with David Ellison, Dana Goldberg (World War Z, Star Trek: Beyond), Marcy Ross (Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan) serving as executive producers. Josh Friedman (Avatar 4,Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles) and Robyn Asimov also serve as executive producers for the series.
Originally published as a short story in 1942, Asimov’s Foundation went on to become a trilogy for decades before additional material expanded the series to seven volumes. It feels like we’ve been waiting decades for the adaptation to get made. Roland Emmerich tried to launch a feature version at Sony in 2011. The rights lapsed in 2014 and HBO picked them up for Jonathan Nolan to turn into a series; he opted for Westworld instead.
Now, with AppleTV+ ready to launch on November 1st, the company is making strides to stay competitive in the streaming-content game by putting some momentum behind this long-awaited project. Harris and Pace are two of the best working today and I can’t wait to see the two of them together on screen. What remains to be seen is if Goyer & Co. can bring the huge ideas of Asimov’s series to bear in a way that does them justice and resonates with audiences. We don’t have a timetable on Foundation just yet, so expect to wait a little while longer to find out.
More on this: 346 stories
- [REVIEW] STAR TREK: SHORT TREKS "Ask Not": A Prelude to a New Star Trek Series?
- Meaney To Receive Award This Week
- Discovery's Captain Pike Returns in Star Trek: Short Treks Trailer
- Star Trek Episodes You Should Watch Before Picard
- Was Mister Spock Based Visually on Namor the Sub-Mariner?
- Star Trek: Discovery's Anthony Rapp is Engaged
- An "Embarrassed" Patrick Stewart Makes Anti-Brexit Speech During Con Appearance: "It Is a Disgrace"
- Star Trek Series Leaving Netflix in December
- Star Trek: Short Treks "Ask Not" Trailer Released
- Star Trek Lives Long and Prosper with New Statue from DarkSide
- Why Captain Pike deserves his own 'Star Trek' spinoff
- 5 Things In Star Trek DS9 That Make No Sense (& 5 Fan Theories That Do)
- Leonard Nimoy As Captain Spock 1/3 Scale Museum Statue
- 'Star Trek: The Experience' brought otherworldly fun to Las Vegas
- "Star Trek: Short Treks" Season 2 "Ask Not"- Capt. Pike Returns [Trailer]
- 5 Things In Star Trek: Voyager That Make No Sense (& 5 Fan Theories That Do)
- Watch Captain Pike return in new Star Trek: Short Treks trailer
- Tig Notaro Reveals Why She's Proud to Be a Part of Star Trek: Discovery
- 'Star Trek,' Space Travel and Teleportation with Tig Notaro
- All the essential 'The Next Generation' episodes before 'Star Trek: Picard'
- Star Trek Mystery: Who Is the Obsidian Tholian?
- George Takei thinks gay character in Star Trek is 'a bridge too far'
- Star Trek: Ethan Peck Explains How Discovery Added New Depth to Spock
- Star Trek: Discovery's Anthony Rapp Teases "Wonderful" Season 3 Character Arc
- George Takei Reveals Why Star Trek Didn't Have Any Gay Characters