Paramount’s Thinking Of Doing A Star Trek: Picard Movie
Sir Patrick Stewart is due to make his grand return to the role of Jean-Luc Picard in the Star Trek: PicardTV series next year. Stewart’s comeback comes at an exciting time for the Trek franchise as the ViacomCBS merger means that the rights to both the TV and movie sides of the IP are under the same roof for the first time in 13 years. And it sounds like the studio plans to use this to their advantage.
According to our sources – the same ones who told us Ewan McGregor was returning as Obi-Wan back in May, and that an Aladdin sequel was in development, both of which were later confirmed – Paramount – owned by Viacom – has eyes on doing a new movie starring Stewart as Picard at some point. Apparently, it could either be after the show ends or during its run. Whichever one they decide to go with, it’s definitely something that’s being considered behind the scenes and it’d presumably follow the continuity of the show and feature other Picard cast members, too.
Though he originated the role on TV’s The Next Generation, Stewart has played Picard on the big screen several times. Throughout the 1990s and early 2000s, the TNG cast featured in four movies and the last was 2002’s Star Trek: Nemesis. To date, this is the final film to be set in the prime universe and not the Kelvin timeline of the modern era. Quentin Tarantino’s effort is expected to continue with Chris Pine and co. so this new Picard film would be the first cinematic outing for the prime universe in a long, long time – if it ends up happening, that is. After all, for now, it’s only an idea and not 100% happening.
We know that there’s a three-year plan in place for the Star Trek: Picardseries though, with the first 10-episode season scheduled to premiere on CBS All Access on January 23rd. Interestingly, a Discovery movie was also mooted recently. So, we could be set for a more united brand across both platforms in the near future, which can only be a good thing for fans.
More on this: 580 stories
- New Star Trek: Picard Trailer Brings Back the Enterprise-D
- The Essential Picard: Chain of Command
- How Children of Mars Sets Up Star Trek: Picard
- Patrick Stewart was initially hated for Star Trek's Jean-Luc Picard
- Star Trek: 10 Most Hilarious DS9 Memes
- Star Trek: Voyager Would Have Been Completely Different Under Captain Riker
- Marvel: 5 Alien Superheroes Who Would Fit In On The Starship Enterprise (& 5 That Wouldn't)
- Which Star Trek Movies & Episodes You Need To See To Understand Picard
- 'Star Trek: Picard' world premiere draws huge crowds and sci-fi stars
- Star Trek's Picard reveals how major TNG characters will return
- New Star Trek: Picard Promo Features Data's Return
- Star Trek Discovery Season 3: DS9's Trill Aliens Explained
- Star Trek: Picard Featurette Teases A More Complex World
- Picard's Patrick Stewart says it's "inconceivable" for him to ever give up acting
- Star Trek: How Picard Connects to Both the Prime and Kelvin Timelines
- The 10 Worst Episodes Of Star Trek: Discovery, According To IMDb
- Patrick Stewart accepted Star Trek Picard role on two conditions
- 5 Great Fan Theories About Star Trek: Picard That Make Too Much Sense (& 5 That Are Just Impossible)
- New movies on Amazon Prime January 2020: Full list of what's new this month
- Sir Patrick Stewart: My embarrassment over Star Trek incident
- Star Trek: Picard Gives Fans a Sneak Peek at the New Number One
- Patrick Stewart And Ian McKellen Reunite At Star Trek: Picard Premiere
- Star Trek has always been about challenging the notion of right or wrong
- The Journey Begins in New Star Trek: Picard Promo
- Star Trek's Jeri Ryan explains why she "panicked" when she first read the Picard script