Patrick Stewart Hints At Borg Surprises In Star Trek: Picard Premiere
We don’t have long to wait for the premiere of Star Trek: Picard, which will arrive in January 2020. In the meantime, though, Patrick Stewart has been dropping hints about what to expect from the new Trek series.
The actor appeared at the Destination Star Trek convention this weekend, where he’s already revealed we could be seeing the return of the Star Trek: The Next Generation crew. As part of the same talk, though, Stewart also suggested that we’ll get to know more about the Borg in the premiere of the new show.
Now, that’s not much to go by on its own, but the role of the Borg on Picard has already been set up by a brief shot of a Borg cube in the series’ trailer, which you can catch above, while we’ll also be getting Seven of Nine and Hugh as characters in the first season. Of course, it makes sense that the Borg will be a key part of a series focused on Jean-Luc Picard, given their storied history and his temporary assimilation in “The Best of Both Worlds.” The events of Star Trek: First Contact and Picard’s battle against the Borg Queen are also likely to have left scars on the former Captain.
We already know to expect surprises from Star Trek: Picard when it airs, albeit without diverting too much from the approach of previous series. But plot details beyond what we mentioned above have been hard to come by so far.
The most recent trailer for the show saw Picard coming out of retirement for an apparently unsanctioned mission though, including reunions with many of his old crew members. How much the Borg will fit into these events is unknown, but for what it’s worth, Seven of Nine does appear to play a key role in the action.
In any case, all our questions will be answered when Star Trek: Picard arrives on January 23rd, 2020 on CBS All Access.
More on this: 666 stories
- Patrick Stewart on boldly returning for Star Trek Picard
- Picard Full of Star Trek Easter Eggs and Callbacks
- Star Trek: Picard knows Star Trek is a hard sell in 2020
- "Star Trek: Picard" to debut on CBS All Access on January 23
- Star Trek: Picard Episode 1
- Jean-Luc Picard Emulates the Growth Mindset of 'Star Trek'
- Picard: Star Trek re-enters the Next Generation with bold new series
- Star Trek: Picard's dog is more important than you might think
- How Picard Reprograms Robotics in the Star Trek Universe
- Whoopi Goldberg to Return as Guinan in Star Trek: Picard Season 2
- Why Patrick Stewart Chose to Return in Star Trek: Picard
- 'Star Trek: Picard': Why does Trek endure? TNG's Marina Sirtis and Brent Spiner explain
- Star Trek: Picard Episode 1 Ending Explained
- Star Trek: Picard: What Happened to Romulus?
- Star Trek: Picard Premiere's Surprising Final Scene, Explained
- Whoopi Goldberg tears as Patrick Stewart offers Star Trek Picard 2 role
- STAR TREK: PICARD Review: An Engaging But Uneven Start
- How 'Logan' Convinced Patrick Stewart He Could Return to 'Star Trek'
- Patrick Stewart Asks Whoopi Goldberg To Rejoin 'Star Trek'
- How Picard Makes the 2009 Star Trek Reboot Relevant Again
- Data's Daughters, Dahj's Death & Synthetic Cloning Explained
- 'We are not the starched uniform-wearing crew of old': a messier, more human 'Star Trek' in 'Picard'
- Star Trek: Picard Season 1 Episode 1 Review
- Goldsman And Chabon On Data
- Star Trek: Picard 'engages' critics in first reviews