Spiner: I Thought I Was Done With Trek
For Brent Spiner, the return to Star Trek was a surprise to him as he believed that he was finished with it after Data died in Star Trek: Nemesis.
Speaking at Destination Star Trek: Birmingham, Spiner said that “I thought it made a lot of sense and because I was also part of the team that wrote the story, I knew that was going to happen.
“We had been told in almost no uncertain terms by Paramount Pictures, that this was going to be our last film, so I thought it made a lot of sense to leave the audience with a really big, dramatic, emotional moment at the end of the film. If that’s the last time you were going to see the character then that’s the way it should be, you know…at the time I thought it was the right way to go.”
But a surprise phone call changed that. “I assumed they wanted me to play Picard because I can,” he said, joking with the crowd in attendance. “I’ve gotten younger. I’ll last longer.
“So they said, ‘Well, would you have any interest in playing Data again?’ And I said, ‘Make me an offer I can’t refuse.'”
Source: Star Trek.com
What do you think? Chat with other fans in the at The Trek BBS.
More on this: 666 stories
- Patrick Stewart on boldly returning for Star Trek Picard
- Picard Full of Star Trek Easter Eggs and Callbacks
- Star Trek: Picard knows Star Trek is a hard sell in 2020
- "Star Trek: Picard" to debut on CBS All Access on January 23
- Star Trek: Picard Episode 1
- Jean-Luc Picard Emulates the Growth Mindset of 'Star Trek'
- Picard: Star Trek re-enters the Next Generation with bold new series
- Star Trek: Picard's dog is more important than you might think
- How Picard Reprograms Robotics in the Star Trek Universe
- Whoopi Goldberg to Return as Guinan in Star Trek: Picard Season 2
- Why Patrick Stewart Chose to Return in Star Trek: Picard
- 'Star Trek: Picard': Why does Trek endure? TNG's Marina Sirtis and Brent Spiner explain
- Star Trek: Picard Episode 1 Ending Explained
- Star Trek: Picard: What Happened to Romulus?
- Star Trek: Picard Premiere's Surprising Final Scene, Explained
- Whoopi Goldberg tears as Patrick Stewart offers Star Trek Picard 2 role
- STAR TREK: PICARD Review: An Engaging But Uneven Start
- How 'Logan' Convinced Patrick Stewart He Could Return to 'Star Trek'
- Patrick Stewart Asks Whoopi Goldberg To Rejoin 'Star Trek'
- How Picard Makes the 2009 Star Trek Reboot Relevant Again
- Data's Daughters, Dahj's Death & Synthetic Cloning Explained
- 'We are not the starched uniform-wearing crew of old': a messier, more human 'Star Trek' in 'Picard'
- Star Trek: Picard Season 1 Episode 1 Review
- Goldsman And Chabon On Data
- Star Trek: Picard 'engages' critics in first reviews