What To Expect From Star Trek: Discovery Season 3
When will Star Trek: Discovery season 3 launch and will the CBS All-Access prequel, which is the cornerstone series of CBS' streaming service, reinvent itself in its third season?
Last Updated: October 29, 2019
Though it remains controversial with a segment of Star Trek fans, Star Trek: Discovery's bolder, more adventurous season 2 has been hailed as an improvement over season 1. Star Trek: Discovery season 2 cast Anson Mount, who won raves as for his portrayal of legendary Enterprise Captain Christopher Pike, as well as bringing aboard Ethan Peck as Spock, the adoptive brother of Michael Burnham, the series' lead character. Together, they have embarked on a rollicking journey chasing a time-traveling being called the Red Angel while trying to prevent a malevolent A.I. called Control from wiping out all life in the galaxy.Click the button below to start this article in quick view. Start now
With the conclusion of Star Trek: Discovery season 2 poised to launch the titular starship and her crew on a new adventure across time, here's what we know so far about Star Trek: Discovery season 3.
Star Trek: Discovery Season 3 Premieres in 2020
CBS hasn't announced an official release date for Star Trek: Discovery season 3, only confirmed that it'll premiere sometime in 2020. The 15-episode first season premiered in September 2017 and ran until February 2018 (after taking a hiatus midway). Star Trek: Discovery season 2 launched in January 2019 and streamed all 14 episodes uninterrupted. It's likely fans won't see the crew of the U.S.S. Discovery again until at least spring or summer 2020, in order to give the new Star Trek: Picard series set to debut on All Access in January some breathing room.
Star Trek: Discovery Season 3 Cast
The core cast of Star Trek: Discovery, led by Sonequa Martin-Green as Michael Burnham and Doug Jones as Saru, is expected to return. Unfortunately, Anson Mount will not be reprising his role as Captain Pike. Despite the popularity of Mount as the dashing starship captain, the actor only signed a one-year deal. Rebecca Romijn also won't return as the Starship Enterprise's Number One. It's not yet known what the status of Ethan Peck's Spock will be going forward and if he'll appear in Star Trek: Discovery season 3, but Tig Notaro is expected to return as engineer Jett Reno. Newly joining the cast is Supergirl vet David Ajala as Cleveland "Book" Booker, a charismatic character whose fearless attitude sometimes lands him in hot water.
Star Trek: Discovery Season 3 Trailer
While Star Trek: Discovery's season 3 premiere is still a ways off, CBS All Access decided to whet fans' appetites by releasing a teaser trailer for the new season at NYCC 2019. Check it out below, and behold the wondrous new journeys in store for the Discovery's crew.
Star Trek: Discovery Season 3 Story
Star Trek: Discovery season 2's daring storyline culminated in Michael Burnham's plan to lead her starship almost a thousand years into the future, which will be a one-way trip. The first half of the season finale, "Such Sweet Sorrow, Part 1", saw Michael bid goodbye to her paramour Ash Tyler and even to Captain Pike, who returned to command the Starship Enterprise. Meanwhile, the Discovery's crew chose to go to the future with Michael, although it's been hinted they didn't quite hit their planned destination.
It all leads into a massive space battle with Control and the Section 31 fleet with the fate of the entire galaxy at stake in "Such Sweet Sorrow, Part 2". Michael's plan takes the Star Trek franchise where it hasn't gone before - into the 32nd century - which is a stunning reinvention of Star Trek: Discovery. This change allows the series to continue unhampered by prior franchise continuity, and introduce things like new Starfleet badges, new political issues, and all new antagonists to deal with. Season 3 will also see the return of three alien races previously seen in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, and address the vacancy of the captain position on Discovery.
Star Trek: Discovery Seasons 1 & 2 are available to stream on CBS All-Access in the USA and internationally on Netflix.
More on this: 364 stories
- Discovery's Captain Pike Returns in Star Trek: Short Treks Trailer
- Star Trek Episodes You Should Watch Before Picard
- Was Mister Spock Based Visually on Namor the Sub-Mariner?
- Star Trek: Discovery's Anthony Rapp is Engaged
- An "Embarrassed" Patrick Stewart Makes Anti-Brexit Speech During Con Appearance: "It Is a Disgrace"
- Star Trek Series Leaving Netflix in December
- Star Trek: Short Treks "Ask Not" Trailer Released
- Star Trek Lives Long and Prosper with New Statue from DarkSide
- Why Captain Pike deserves his own 'Star Trek' spinoff
- 5 Things In Star Trek DS9 That Make No Sense (& 5 Fan Theories That Do)
- Leonard Nimoy As Captain Spock 1/3 Scale Museum Statue
- 'Star Trek: The Experience' brought otherworldly fun to Las Vegas
- "Star Trek: Short Treks" Season 2 "Ask Not"- Capt. Pike Returns [Trailer]
- 5 Things In Star Trek: Voyager That Make No Sense (& 5 Fan Theories That Do)
- Watch Captain Pike return in new Star Trek: Short Treks trailer
- Tig Notaro Reveals Why She's Proud to Be a Part of Star Trek: Discovery
- 'Star Trek,' Space Travel and Teleportation with Tig Notaro
- Star Trek: What Happens To Earth Religions In The Future
- All the essential 'The Next Generation' episodes before 'Star Trek: Picard'
- Star Trek Mystery: Who Is the Obsidian Tholian?
- George Takei thinks gay character in Star Trek is 'a bridge too far'
- Star Trek: Ethan Peck Explains How Discovery Added New Depth to Spock
- Star Trek: Discovery's Anthony Rapp Teases "Wonderful" Season 3 Character Arc
- George Takei Reveals Why Star Trek Didn't Have Any Gay Characters
- The Orville: Jonathan Frakes Wants To Be An Alien