“Picard”: Patrick Stewart Explains How “Logan” Led Him to “Star Trek” Spinoff
After seven seasons and four feature films of Star Trek: The Next Generation, Sir Patrick Stewart was happy staying retired as Captain Jean Luc Picard. After retiring from his other signature role in Charles Xavier in FOX’s X-Men franchise in 2017’s Logan, Stewart decided to entertain a call from CBS All Access about a pitch for a new television series: Picard. Speaking at Destination Star Trek Birmingham in Alabama, he talked about revisiting the role he played for 15 years (with the Star Trek official site documenting the panel):
The Pitch of “Star Trek: Picard”
The meeting included producers Alex Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman. They changed Stewart’s mind when he decided to pick their brains for their thoughts on where the series could go:
Stewart’s Change of Heart
Aside from the respect Stewart had for those he had in the meeting, he entertained the idea of returning to Star Trek after the ending to Logan left a profound impact. Stewart ended up playing Xavier/Professor X for 18 years:
From the looks of the trailers released from CBS, Picard deviates from the familiar Star Trek formula much to Stewart’s satisfaction.
The footage released has many long-time fans crooning for updates of their favorite non-prequel Trek characters like Data (Brent Spiner), Riker (Jonathan Frakes), Troi (Marina Sirtis), and Seven of Nine (Jeri Ryan).
Star Trek: Picard comes to CBS All Access on January 23rd.
About Tom Chang
I'm a gamer, sci-fi and fantasy fan. film and TV snob. I love to write and read the classics. Anything you want to talk about, I'm here to entertain or at least pretend to be interested.
More on this: 666 stories
- Patrick Stewart on boldly returning for Star Trek Picard
- Picard Full of Star Trek Easter Eggs and Callbacks
- Star Trek: Picard knows Star Trek is a hard sell in 2020
- "Star Trek: Picard" to debut on CBS All Access on January 23
- Star Trek: Picard Episode 1
- Jean-Luc Picard Emulates the Growth Mindset of 'Star Trek'
- Picard: Star Trek re-enters the Next Generation with bold new series
- Star Trek: Picard's dog is more important than you might think
- How Picard Reprograms Robotics in the Star Trek Universe
- Whoopi Goldberg to Return as Guinan in Star Trek: Picard Season 2
- Why Patrick Stewart Chose to Return in Star Trek: Picard
- 'Star Trek: Picard': Why does Trek endure? TNG's Marina Sirtis and Brent Spiner explain
- Star Trek: Picard Episode 1 Ending Explained
- Star Trek: Picard: What Happened to Romulus?
- Star Trek: Picard Premiere's Surprising Final Scene, Explained
- Whoopi Goldberg tears as Patrick Stewart offers Star Trek Picard 2 role
- STAR TREK: PICARD Review: An Engaging But Uneven Start
- How 'Logan' Convinced Patrick Stewart He Could Return to 'Star Trek'
- Patrick Stewart Asks Whoopi Goldberg To Rejoin 'Star Trek'
- How Picard Makes the 2009 Star Trek Reboot Relevant Again
- Data's Daughters, Dahj's Death & Synthetic Cloning Explained
- 'We are not the starched uniform-wearing crew of old': a messier, more human 'Star Trek' in 'Picard'
- Star Trek: Picard Season 1 Episode 1 Review
- Goldsman And Chabon On Data
- Star Trek: Picard 'engages' critics in first reviews