George Takei thinks gay character in the original Star Trek would be ‘too far’
George Takei says including a gay character in the original Star Trek series would have been ‘a bridge too far’ for audiences at the time.
The actor played Mr Sulu on Star Trek alongside William Shatner back in the 60s.
He recalled speaking to show creator Gene Roddenberry about including a gay character, shortly after they caused controversy by airing an interracial kiss.
According to the star, Roddenberry wanted to avoid ruffling feathers again, despite saying it would ‘like to’ introduce a gay character.
On PBS News Hour, Takei quoted Roddenberry saying: ‘The interracial kiss was very controversial. So I’ve got to keep the show on to tell the stories that I’m telling, which aren’t being dramatised metaphorically on any other show.
‘I’ve got to keep the show on. And [a gay character], as you say, may be a bridge too far.’
Star Trek aired between 1966 and 1969 for three seasons.
The 2016 film Star Trek Beyond revealed that Sulu, played John Cho, was gay and had a daughter with his male partner.
However a kiss between the two men was removed from the sequel.
Cho told Vulture in an interview at the time: ‘It wasn’t like a make-out session. We’re at the airport with our daughter. It was a welcome-home kiss. I’m actually proud of that scene, because it was pretty tough.’
Got a showbiz story?
If you've got a story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk Entertainment team by emailing us email@example.com, calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page - we'd love to hear from you.Home › Entertainment › TV
More on this: 580 stories
- New Star Trek: Picard Trailer Brings Back the Enterprise-D
- The Essential Picard: Chain of Command
- How Children of Mars Sets Up Star Trek: Picard
- Patrick Stewart was initially hated for Star Trek's Jean-Luc Picard
- Star Trek: 10 Most Hilarious DS9 Memes
- Star Trek: Voyager Would Have Been Completely Different Under Captain Riker
- Marvel: 5 Alien Superheroes Who Would Fit In On The Starship Enterprise (& 5 That Wouldn't)
- Which Star Trek Movies & Episodes You Need To See To Understand Picard
- 'Star Trek: Picard' world premiere draws huge crowds and sci-fi stars
- Star Trek's Picard reveals how major TNG characters will return
- New Star Trek: Picard Promo Features Data's Return
- Star Trek Discovery Season 3: DS9's Trill Aliens Explained
- Star Trek: Picard Featurette Teases A More Complex World
- Picard's Patrick Stewart says it's "inconceivable" for him to ever give up acting
- Star Trek: How Picard Connects to Both the Prime and Kelvin Timelines
- The 10 Worst Episodes Of Star Trek: Discovery, According To IMDb
- Patrick Stewart accepted Star Trek Picard role on two conditions
- 5 Great Fan Theories About Star Trek: Picard That Make Too Much Sense (& 5 That Are Just Impossible)
- New movies on Amazon Prime January 2020: Full list of what's new this month
- Sir Patrick Stewart: My embarrassment over Star Trek incident
- Star Trek: Picard Gives Fans a Sneak Peek at the New Number One
- Patrick Stewart And Ian McKellen Reunite At Star Trek: Picard Premiere
- Star Trek has always been about challenging the notion of right or wrong
- The Journey Begins in New Star Trek: Picard Promo
- Star Trek's Jeri Ryan explains why she "panicked" when she first read the Picard script