Alfonso Gomez-Rejon to Direct Chris Pine in Newsflash
Alfonso Gomez-Rejon to direct Chris Pine in Newsflash
After landing Wonder Woman‘s Chris Pine to lead the Walter Cronkite biopic earlier this year, Newsflash is moving forward with The Current War director Alfonso Gomez-Rejon attached to helm the film, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
The film will follow Cronkite (Pine) during the tumultuous day of November 22, 1963 — the day President John F. Kennedy was assassinated — during which he became a trusted voice for the American people.
Ben Jacoby wrote the script for the film, which will begin production in February. Producers include Stampede’s Greg Silverman, Gideon Yu, Lisa Zambri of Stampede, Jonathan Lim of City Hill Arts, and Adam Kolbrenner of Lit Entertainment Group.
Newsflash was originally slated to star Seth Rogen in the starring role under direction from David Gordon Green, but that project fell through and Green went on to direct last year’s hit thriller Halloween.
Pine became a household name thanks to his portrayal of Captain Kirk in J.J. Abrams’ Star Trek reboot, but has since built himself a nice resume filled with unique films such as Hell or High Water, Wonder Woman and the animated film Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, among others. He will next be seen reprising his role as Steve Trevor in Wonder Woman 1984.
After earning widespread acclaim for his work directing the 2015 teen dramedy Me and Earl and the Dying Girl, Gomez-Rejon helmed the historical drama The Current War surrounding the race for who would power the United States between Thomas Edison, George Westinghouse and Nikola Tesla. After sitting on a shelf for two years due to the bankruptcy of the original studio, the biopic starring Benedict Cumberbatch (Avengers: Endgame), Michael Shannon (Knives Out) and Nicholas Hoult (Dark Phoenix) hit theaters in October to mixed reviews.
(Photo Credit: Backgrid Images)
More on this: 580 stories
- New Star Trek: Picard Trailer Brings Back the Enterprise-D
- The Essential Picard: Chain of Command
- How Children of Mars Sets Up Star Trek: Picard
- Patrick Stewart was initially hated for Star Trek's Jean-Luc Picard
- Star Trek: 10 Most Hilarious DS9 Memes
- Star Trek: Voyager Would Have Been Completely Different Under Captain Riker
- Marvel: 5 Alien Superheroes Who Would Fit In On The Starship Enterprise (& 5 That Wouldn't)
- Which Star Trek Movies & Episodes You Need To See To Understand Picard
- 'Star Trek: Picard' world premiere draws huge crowds and sci-fi stars
- Star Trek's Picard reveals how major TNG characters will return
- New Star Trek: Picard Promo Features Data's Return
- Star Trek Discovery Season 3: DS9's Trill Aliens Explained
- Star Trek: Picard Featurette Teases A More Complex World
- Picard's Patrick Stewart says it's "inconceivable" for him to ever give up acting
- Star Trek: How Picard Connects to Both the Prime and Kelvin Timelines
- The 10 Worst Episodes Of Star Trek: Discovery, According To IMDb
- Patrick Stewart accepted Star Trek Picard role on two conditions
- 5 Great Fan Theories About Star Trek: Picard That Make Too Much Sense (& 5 That Are Just Impossible)
- New movies on Amazon Prime January 2020: Full list of what's new this month
- Sir Patrick Stewart: My embarrassment over Star Trek incident
- Star Trek: Picard Gives Fans a Sneak Peek at the New Number One
- Patrick Stewart And Ian McKellen Reunite At Star Trek: Picard Premiere
- Star Trek has always been about challenging the notion of right or wrong
- The Journey Begins in New Star Trek: Picard Promo
- Star Trek's Jeri Ryan explains why she "panicked" when she first read the Picard script