Was Mister Spock Based Visually on Namor the Sub-Mariner?
Welcome to Comic Book Legends Revealed! This is the seven hundred and fifty-fifth installment where we examine comic book legends and whether they are true or false.
As usual, there will be three posts, one for each of the three legends.
Mister Spock was visually based on Namor the Sub-Mariner
I'm Going With False
My pal Matt Adler shared the following Comic Book Historians bit on Facebook a while back...Click the button below to start this article in quick view. Start now
I told him at the time that it seemed fishy to me (pun unintended), as I've never seen any article on the topic and few pieces of pop culture have been researched quite as heavily as Star Trek, so I am suspicious whenever I see a generic "somebody said it" reference like that one.
Would it be shocking that someone would base a character on Namor?
Of course not, but there didn't seem to be a whole lot of there there, as it were.
You see, I had done a TV Legends Revealed years ago about how Mister Spock originally had red skin and yeah, looking at it with that in mind, it sure seems unlikely that the original design for Spock being a red skinned guy was based on Namor.
Really, looking at the original design for the character, the only thing that is similar to Namor is the pointed ears, and really, that's not a good enough reason, especially since no one has found this alleged article where they admitted to it. I'm feeling good with this as a false.
Thanks to Matt and Comics Historians for the idea and thanks to Jamie and John Tenuto for the information!
Check out some other Star Trek legends from Legends Revealed:
4. Which Member of the Original Star Trek Cast Invented the First Klingon Language?_______________________________________________________________________________
Check back soon for part 2 of this installment's legends!
And remember, if you have a legend that you're curious about, drop me a line at either firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com!
More on this: 561 stories
- Patrick Stewart accepted Star Trek Picard role on two conditions
- 5 Great Fan Theories About Star Trek: Picard That Make Too Much Sense (& 5 That Are Just Impossible)
- New movies on Amazon Prime January 2020: Full list of what's new this month
- Sir Patrick Stewart: My embarrassment over Star Trek incident
- Star Trek: Picard Gives Fans a Sneak Peek at the New Number One
- Patrick Stewart And Ian McKellen Reunite At Star Trek: Picard Premiere
- Star Trek has always been about challenging the notion of right or wrong
- The Journey Begins in New Star Trek: Picard Promo
- Star Trek's Jeri Ryan explains why she "panicked" when she first read the Picard script
- "Star Trek": No Rules... No Regulations... All "Picard" [PROMO]
- The Essential Picard: The Best of Both Worlds
- The Ready Room: Wil Wheaton Set to Host Picard Aftershow
- Star Trek Beyond's Kalara Is One Of The The Series' Most Tragic Villains
- Some New Star Trek: Picard Spoilers
- 'Star Trek: Voyager' Turns 25 Years Old Today
- Every TNG Character Missing From The New Show
- Sir Ian McKellen warned Sir Patrick Stewart Star Trek would ruin career
- How 'Star Trek: Voyager' Missed Out on Greatness
- Star Trek: Will Jason Isaacs return to Discovery? Star teases comeback
- Star Trek: Picard's Patrick Stewart confirms Data only appears in a dream
- 'Star Trek: Picard': Everything from 'ST:D' we hope *not* to see
- Sir Patrick Stewart speaks of Brexit sorrow at Star Trek launch
- Patrick Stewart brands Brexit 'the grimmest thing'
- 'Star Trek' return 'irresistible,' says Patrick Stewart at new series premiere
- Star Trek Short Treks are the newest contextual tool for CBS All Access