Patrick Stewart Says To Expect Many Surprises In Star Trek: Picard
We don’t have long to go until the premiere ofStar Trek: Picard, which will see Patrick Stewart return to arguably his most famous role. Having already commented on the significant changes to the world of Star Trek that he wanted to see from the new series, Stewart expanded on these ideas when appearing on Jimmy Kimmel Live! this week, revealing that fans should expect there to be some surprises over where Picard and the Federation are in the new series.
Ostensibly there to discuss his role in the new Charlie’s Angels reboot, Stewart was keen to explain what’s going to make Star Trek: Picard special, saying:
This information builds on previous comments from Stewart and the producers of the show, where they warned fans that they won’t be getting a traditional Star Trek experience. As Stewart alludes to, the events of Star Trek: Nemesis and Picard’s involvement in its aftermath have left him in a different mindset and, at least at first, resistant to leaving his home. Furthermore, Stewart has recently acknowledged that he wanted the series to be similar to the approach of Logan, where characters past their prime are brought back to the action.
However, it’s difficult to say at the moment whether Star Trek: Picard will wrap up the story of its lead character altogether, at least for the time being, as a second season is already planned, while Paramount are also reportedly considering a standalone movie. In addition, we know that several familiar faces from Star Trek: The Next Generation will be appearing in the series and potentially even more of the original cast.
For now, it’s clear that Star Trek: Picard will depart with many of the conventions established for the Trek universe. Although, we’ll still be getting villains like the Borg to tie things back to previous outings.
More on this: 666 stories
- Patrick Stewart on boldly returning for Star Trek Picard
- Picard Full of Star Trek Easter Eggs and Callbacks
- Star Trek: Picard knows Star Trek is a hard sell in 2020
- "Star Trek: Picard" to debut on CBS All Access on January 23
- Star Trek: Picard Episode 1
- Jean-Luc Picard Emulates the Growth Mindset of 'Star Trek'
- Picard: Star Trek re-enters the Next Generation with bold new series
- Star Trek: Picard's dog is more important than you might think
- How Picard Reprograms Robotics in the Star Trek Universe
- Whoopi Goldberg to Return as Guinan in Star Trek: Picard Season 2
- Why Patrick Stewart Chose to Return in Star Trek: Picard
- 'Star Trek: Picard': Why does Trek endure? TNG's Marina Sirtis and Brent Spiner explain
- Star Trek: Picard Episode 1 Ending Explained
- Star Trek: Picard: What Happened to Romulus?
- Star Trek: Picard Premiere's Surprising Final Scene, Explained
- Whoopi Goldberg tears as Patrick Stewart offers Star Trek Picard 2 role
- STAR TREK: PICARD Review: An Engaging But Uneven Start
- How 'Logan' Convinced Patrick Stewart He Could Return to 'Star Trek'
- Patrick Stewart Asks Whoopi Goldberg To Rejoin 'Star Trek'
- How Picard Makes the 2009 Star Trek Reboot Relevant Again
- Data's Daughters, Dahj's Death & Synthetic Cloning Explained
- 'We are not the starched uniform-wearing crew of old': a messier, more human 'Star Trek' in 'Picard'
- Star Trek: Picard Season 1 Episode 1 Review
- Goldsman And Chabon On Data
- Star Trek: Picard 'engages' critics in first reviews