Star Trek 4 Back In Production With Chris Pine Returning
Star Trek is experiencing a nice little resurgence at the moment. The second season of Discovery went down pretty well with everyone, fans are starting to get excited for the imminent return of Picard in his own show, there are a couple different animated series in the works and let’s not forget that Quentin Tarantino is said to be putting together his own unique take on the franchise. But within all that, something still isn’t right.
We’re talking about Star Trek 4, of course, the much anticipated sequel to J.J. Abrams’ 2009 reboot that’s been stuck in development hell for a while now. As 2016’s Star Trek Beyond only brought in $343 million globally on a $185 million budget, the studio was unwilling to shell out too much money for the fourth installment and contract negotiations with both Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth stalled. That was some time ago and for many months, it’s looked like the project was all but dead. But at long last, Deadline has brought us a promising update.
According to the outlet, Star Trek 4 is now back on the table. In fact, it’s even got a new writer and director in the form of Noah Hawley, who’s in final talks with Paramount to board the project.
Better yet is that Deadline says Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Simon Pegg and Karl Urban will all be returning. And while the details end there, this is hugely exciting news. For one, you’ve got most of the core cast from the past few films all back for more and as for Hawley, he’s an immensely talented individual, perhaps best known for his work on Legion and Fargo.
Where the story may go and who else may be returning is still unclear, but Star Trek 4has seemingly flickered back to life and with the engines now revved up and ready to go, you can expect to learn more shortly. Watch this space.
More on this: 16 stories
- Star Trek 4: What New Director Noah Hawley's Previous Movies & Shows Reveal
- Unpacking How We Feel About Noah Hawley Directing Star Trek
- Noah Hawley to Write and Direct Star Trek 4
- Star Trek 4 Back on with Noah Hawley
- Noah Hawley to write and direct Star Trek 4 with Chris Pine and company returning
- Noah Hawley Will Write And Direct The Next STAR TREK Movie
- STAR TREK 4 Is Back On, Fargo, Legion Creator Noah Hawley to Write & Direct
- 'Star Trek 4' Takes Off With 'Lucy In The Sky' Director Noah Hawley
- Noah Hawley to Write and Direct "Star Trek 4"
- Star Trek 4 eyes Fargo, Legion creator Noah Hawley to direct
- Noah Hawley is Directing the Next Star Trek Film
- Star Trek 4 moves forward with Chris Pine returning as Captain Kirk
- Legion's Noah Hawley To Write and Direct Next Star Trek Film
- Star Trek 4 Sets Legion Creator Noah Hawley as Writer & Director
- 'Star Trek 4': Noah Hawley to Direct, Chris Pine Returning to Star
- Noah Hawley To Direct Star Trek 4; Chris Pine Expected To Return