'Star Trek': 'Fargo' Creator Noah Hawley to Direct Next Film
Paramount is beaming up a new captain for its Star Trek franchise: Noah Hawley, who is best known for TV's Fargo and Legion, will direct the next Trek film for the studio, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.
It is expected that Chris Pine will reprise his role as Captain James T. Kirk alongside such castmates as Zachary Quinto and Zoe Saldana, who have been with the film series since J.J. Abrams revamped the franchise in 2009. This fourth Star Trek stands separate from one that Quentin Tarantino has been attached to for two years.
This Week In Heat Vision breakdown
Paramount had been developing a fourth installment after 2016’s Star Trek Beyond and had hoped to be in production earlier this year. But after developing a time travel-themed script that would reunite Pine's Kirk with his father (Chris Hemsworth), negotiations with the two actors fell apart in summer 2018. The studio was trying to keep costs contained but the initial deals for the actors playing the Enterprise crew had run out and new, more expensive, deals were on the table. Talks never resumed and the project was shelved.
S.J. Clarkson was attached to helm Star Trek 4 at the time and would have become the first woman in the franchise's history to direct a Trek film.
Hawley is a respected mind in the genre space and won an outstanding miniseries Emmy for Fargo's first season in 2014. A fourth season is on the way with Chris Rock in the lead. Hawley also directed the feature Lucy in the Sky, which starred Natalie Portman, and was developing a script based on the Marvel villain Doctor Doom for Fox before the studio was purchased by Disney.
Hawley will produce Star Trek 4 via his 26 Keys shingle along with Bad Robot, the production banner run by Abrams, who helmed the first two installments of this current Trek incarnation.
HEAT VISION LATEST NEWSView All
1.Esports Organization Cloud9 Fined for Violating 'League of Legends' Stock Equity Rules
2.'Judy' Hair and Makeup Pro Reveals How Renee Zellweger Became Judy Garland
3.Kevin Mayer Addresses Disney+ Launch Day Glitches
4.From Phoebe-Waller Bridge to Billy Porter: Returning Winners' Inspirations and Provocations
5.'Star Trek': 'Fargo' Creator Noah Hawley to Direct Next Film
More on this: 16 stories
- Star Trek 4: What New Director Noah Hawley's Previous Movies & Shows Reveal
- Unpacking How We Feel About Noah Hawley Directing Star Trek
- Noah Hawley to Write and Direct Star Trek 4
- Star Trek 4 Back on with Noah Hawley
- Noah Hawley to write and direct Star Trek 4 with Chris Pine and company returning
- Noah Hawley Will Write And Direct The Next STAR TREK Movie
- STAR TREK 4 Is Back On, Fargo, Legion Creator Noah Hawley to Write & Direct
- 'Star Trek 4' Takes Off With 'Lucy In The Sky' Director Noah Hawley
- Noah Hawley to Write and Direct "Star Trek 4"
- Star Trek 4 eyes Fargo, Legion creator Noah Hawley to direct
- Noah Hawley is Directing the Next Star Trek Film
- Star Trek 4 moves forward with Chris Pine returning as Captain Kirk
- Legion's Noah Hawley To Write and Direct Next Star Trek Film
- Star Trek 4 Sets Legion Creator Noah Hawley as Writer & Director
- Noah Hawley To Direct Star Trek 4; Chris Pine Expected To Return
- Star Trek 4 Back In Production With Chris Pine Returning