Noah Hawley to Write and Direct Star Trek 4
Although CBS and Paramount have been heavily focused on bringing Star Trek back to television over the past couple of years, Star Trek fans have also been patiently waiting and wondering what the future might hold for the movie franchise as well. The last movie, Star Trek Beyond, was a bit of a disappointment and earned just $343.5 million worldwide, calling into question the popularity of the series moving forward. There has been a lot of talk about Quentin Tarantino’s rumoured R-rated take on Star Trek and while that supposedly remains in development as a potential spin-off, it was never going to be the next official sequel. Fortunately, this week Paramount is finally gearing up for another adventure with a new writer-director in talks to take over. Hit the jump for more info.
According to Deadline, Noah Hawley is in final talks with Paramount Pictures to write and direct the next Star Trek film. Hawley is best known as the creator and showrunner for Fargo and Legion on FX but his directorial debut Lucy in the Sky was released by Fox Searchlight last month. J.J. Abrams is still on board as executive producer and Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Simon Pegg and Karl Urban are all expected to return.
Last we heard, Star Trek 4 was going to be have a time travel plot device that would allow Chris Hemsworth to reprise his role as Kirk’s dad. Unfortunately, at the time it was reported that contract negotiations fell through, leaving Paramount to start over again with a clean slate. Hawley’s Lucy in the Sky did not receive great reviews (it is currently sitting at 23% on Rotten Tomatoes) so that could be a little concerning, but clearly the strength of his TV work is what landed him the job here. Are you looking forward to Star Trek 4?
More on this: 618 stories
- Star Trek: Patrick Stewart Officially Invites Whoopi Goldberg To Join Picard Season 2
- Why 'Picard' symbolizes hope for 'Star Trek's' Patrick Stewart
- Star Trek: Picard Premiere Time and How to Watch Details Revealed
- "Star Trek: Picard": Stewart Invites Goldberg to Join Season 2 [VIDEO]
- Whoopi Goldberg to Play Guinan on 'Star Trek: Picard' Season 2
- Patrick Stewart Invites Whoopi Goldberg to Join STAR TREK: PICARD Season 2
- How Star Trek: Picard Lured Back The Next Generation Stars
- Patrick Stewart Invites Whoopi Goldberg to Star Trek: Picard Season 2
- "Star Trek: Picard" Countdown: Reconsidering “Unimatrix Zero” [OPINION]
- Picard: What You Need to Know Before the Star Trek Series Premiere
- Patrick Stewart invites Whoopi to return to 'Star Trek'
- Star Trek boss says Picard series will be "totally different" to Discovery
- Why Patrick Stewart Turned Down Key 'Star Trek' Storyline
- The Essential Picard: All Good Things...
- Patrick Stewart Invites Whoopi Goldberg To Join Star Trek: Picard Season 2
- Patrick Stewart has had "long, long conversations" with Kevin Feige about the MCU's X-Men
- 'Star Trek: Picard's' Jonathan Del Arco Sets Podcast With Jeri Ryan
- "Star Trek: Picard" to debut on CBS All Access on January 23
- Patrick Stewart has an innate gravitas, but who knew he is such a huge Beavis and Butthead fan?
- "Star Trek: Picard": Del Arco's Hugh is Late Partner's Memory & Own Life
- "Star Trek: Picard" Countdown: Reconsidering "I, Borg" & "Unification"
- Picard: How (and When) to Stream the New Star Trek Series
- Michelle Yeoh Reportedly In Talks For MCU Shang-Chi Movie
- Star Trek's Jonathan Del Arco reveals Hugh is tribute to late partner
- Patrick Stewart returns to Starfleet: 'It's inconceivable to me that I should retire'