Noah Hawley Will Write And Direct The Next STAR TREK Movie
Well, here's an unexpected turn of events.
According to a new report over at The Hollywood Reporter, Paramount is making fresh moves with its Star Trek franchise. For starters, it appears that the Trek movie due to be directed by SJ Clarkson (which would've been the first Trek film helmed by a woman) has been shelved. Secondly, Noah Hawley - the mastermind behind FX's Legion and Fox Searchlight's Lucy In The Sky - has been hired to write and direct the next Trek, with Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana and Chris Pine all expected to return to their respective characters.
It probably goes without saying that replacing what would've been the first female Trek director with the dude whose first feature film recently bombed at the box office (and scored a 23% with critics on Rotten Tomatoes) is not the best look in the world, but I'll go ahead and point it out just in case that hadn't occurred to you yet.
There is also the matter of Quentin Tarantino's long-gestating Star Trek to consider. THR and Deadline both say Hawley's Trek is happening "separately" from that project, indicating that it's not quite dead. Whether or not you want to believe that is entirely up to you, but for the time being - we're having trouble reading the tea leaves any other way.
Nothing further to report at this time - we don't know what Hawley's Trek will be called or when it'll start shooting or who else is gonna be in it - but rest assured we're all very curious to see where this leads, and will keep you informed via further updates as they roll in. Please spend the interim working through your feelings about all of the above via the comments section below.
More on this: 16 stories
- Star Trek 4: What New Director Noah Hawley's Previous Movies & Shows Reveal
- Unpacking How We Feel About Noah Hawley Directing Star Trek
- Noah Hawley to Write and Direct Star Trek 4
- Star Trek 4 Back on with Noah Hawley
- Noah Hawley to write and direct Star Trek 4 with Chris Pine and company returning
- STAR TREK 4 Is Back On, Fargo, Legion Creator Noah Hawley to Write & Direct
- 'Star Trek 4' Takes Off With 'Lucy In The Sky' Director Noah Hawley
- Noah Hawley to Write and Direct "Star Trek 4"
- Star Trek 4 eyes Fargo, Legion creator Noah Hawley to direct
- Noah Hawley is Directing the Next Star Trek Film
- Star Trek 4 moves forward with Chris Pine returning as Captain Kirk
- Legion's Noah Hawley To Write and Direct Next Star Trek Film
- Star Trek 4 Sets Legion Creator Noah Hawley as Writer & Director
- 'Star Trek 4': Noah Hawley to Direct, Chris Pine Returning to Star
- Noah Hawley To Direct Star Trek 4; Chris Pine Expected To Return
- Star Trek 4 Back In Production With Chris Pine Returning