Noah Hawley Will Write And Direct The Next STAR TREK Movie
Well, here's an unexpected turn of events.
According to a new report over at The Hollywood Reporter, Paramount is making fresh moves with its Star Trek franchise. For starters, it appears that the Trek movie due to be directed by SJ Clarkson (which would've been the first Trek film helmed by a woman) has been shelved. Secondly, Noah Hawley - the mastermind behind FX's Legion and Fox Searchlight's Lucy In The Sky - has been hired to write and direct the next Trek, with Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana and Chris Pine all expected to return to their respective characters.
It probably goes without saying that replacing what would've been the first female Trek director with the dude whose first feature film recently bombed at the box office (and scored a 23% with critics on Rotten Tomatoes) is not the best look in the world, but I'll go ahead and point it out just in case that hadn't occurred to you yet.
There is also the matter of Quentin Tarantino's long-gestating Star Trek to consider. THR and Deadline both say Hawley's Trek is happening "separately" from that project, indicating that it's not quite dead. Whether or not you want to believe that is entirely up to you, but for the time being - we're having trouble reading the tea leaves any other way.
Nothing further to report at this time - we don't know what Hawley's Trek will be called or when it'll start shooting or who else is gonna be in it - but rest assured we're all very curious to see where this leads, and will keep you informed via further updates as they roll in. Please spend the interim working through your feelings about all of the above via the comments section below.
More on this: 666 stories
- Patrick Stewart on boldly returning for Star Trek Picard
- Picard Full of Star Trek Easter Eggs and Callbacks
- Star Trek: Picard knows Star Trek is a hard sell in 2020
- "Star Trek: Picard" to debut on CBS All Access on January 23
- Star Trek: Picard Episode 1
- Jean-Luc Picard Emulates the Growth Mindset of 'Star Trek'
- Picard: Star Trek re-enters the Next Generation with bold new series
- Star Trek: Picard's dog is more important than you might think
- How Picard Reprograms Robotics in the Star Trek Universe
- Whoopi Goldberg to Return as Guinan in Star Trek: Picard Season 2
- Why Patrick Stewart Chose to Return in Star Trek: Picard
- 'Star Trek: Picard': Why does Trek endure? TNG's Marina Sirtis and Brent Spiner explain
- Star Trek: Picard Episode 1 Ending Explained
- Star Trek: Picard: What Happened to Romulus?
- Star Trek: Picard Premiere's Surprising Final Scene, Explained
- Whoopi Goldberg tears as Patrick Stewart offers Star Trek Picard 2 role
- STAR TREK: PICARD Review: An Engaging But Uneven Start
- How 'Logan' Convinced Patrick Stewart He Could Return to 'Star Trek'
- Patrick Stewart Asks Whoopi Goldberg To Rejoin 'Star Trek'
- How Picard Makes the 2009 Star Trek Reboot Relevant Again
- Data's Daughters, Dahj's Death & Synthetic Cloning Explained
- 'We are not the starched uniform-wearing crew of old': a messier, more human 'Star Trek' in 'Picard'
- Star Trek: Picard Season 1 Episode 1 Review
- Goldsman And Chabon On Data
- Star Trek: Picard 'engages' critics in first reviews