DC Area Film Critics Assoc.
I think we can put to bed any hope of seeing Quentin Tarantino's R-rated take on Star Trek, because Paramount has given command of the Starship Enterprise so somebody else. Collider reports Fargo and Legion creator Noah Hawley will write and direct a fourth Star Trek film, keeping the same cast as the prior three movies from J.J. Abrams.
Hawley makes for an interesting choice. He recently made his feature directorial debut with Lucy in the Sky, a space drama led by Natalie Portman and Jon Hamm. The film didn't exactly click with critics or at the box office, but obviously that hasn't slowed Hawley down in the least. He'll take charge of a cast that will bring back Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, and more. Abrams, who directed the first two movies, will remain on board as a producer through his Bad Robot label.
We don't know much about the plot, but the film won't have anything to do with Tarantino's movie written by Mark L. Smith. It also will be separate from the shelved movie from director S.J. Clarkson that would've seen Chris Hemsworth return as Kirk's father. That film couldn't get off the ground largely due to stalled contract negotiations.
More on this: 16 stories
- Star Trek 4: What New Director Noah Hawley's Previous Movies & Shows Reveal
- Unpacking How We Feel About Noah Hawley Directing Star Trek
- Noah Hawley to Write and Direct Star Trek 4
- Star Trek 4 Back on with Noah Hawley
- Noah Hawley to write and direct Star Trek 4 with Chris Pine and company returning
- Noah Hawley Will Write And Direct The Next STAR TREK Movie
- STAR TREK 4 Is Back On, Fargo, Legion Creator Noah Hawley to Write & Direct
- Noah Hawley to Write and Direct "Star Trek 4"
- Star Trek 4 eyes Fargo, Legion creator Noah Hawley to direct
- Noah Hawley is Directing the Next Star Trek Film
- Star Trek 4 moves forward with Chris Pine returning as Captain Kirk
- Legion's Noah Hawley To Write and Direct Next Star Trek Film
- Star Trek 4 Sets Legion Creator Noah Hawley as Writer & Director
- 'Star Trek 4': Noah Hawley to Direct, Chris Pine Returning to Star
- Noah Hawley To Direct Star Trek 4; Chris Pine Expected To Return
- Star Trek 4 Back In Production With Chris Pine Returning