Star Trek: Picard prequel confirms fate of beloved Next Generation character
A new Star Trek comic has revealed just what happened to The Next Generation's Geordi La Forge.
The beloved character was a staple of the Patrick Stewart series, and with some Next Generation characters returning in Picard, many have been curious about what has happened to the old gang – even though La Forge isn't slated to appear in the new series.
Well, according to new comic Star Trek: Picard — Countdown #1 (via ComicBook), which is set two years before the destruction of Romulus (as well as several before Picard), the old chief engineer has a new job.
In the comic, Picard sends a transmission to Utopia Planitia Shipyards to call for aid, and has a conversation with the station's commanding officer, who turns out to be La Forge.
"As it has been for decades, the voice of Geordi La Forge is a balm for the soul," Picard later declares. "There is no better officer — no better engineer — that Starfleet could entrust with the task of constructing an entirely new fleet in record time."
While it's left unclear as to how he ended up in the role, the appearance is no doubt exciting for fans.
Meanwhile, a Picard producer has revealed that Stewart didn't want the new series to be a Next Generation"reunion show".
"A big concern was we did not want it to be and especially Patrick did not want it to be a TNG reunion show and I think you can tell from the trailer and what you'll definitely tell from the series, is that we only brought people back if their story really mattered to the story we were telling," Heather Kadin said.
"We didn't want to go, 'Oh, and here’s Riker!' And I don’t think the fans would appreciate that either."
Digital Spy now has a newsletter – sign up to get it sent straight to your inbox.
More on this: 666 stories
- Patrick Stewart on boldly returning for Star Trek Picard
- Picard Full of Star Trek Easter Eggs and Callbacks
- Star Trek: Picard knows Star Trek is a hard sell in 2020
- "Star Trek: Picard" to debut on CBS All Access on January 23
- Star Trek: Picard Episode 1
- Jean-Luc Picard Emulates the Growth Mindset of 'Star Trek'
- Picard: Star Trek re-enters the Next Generation with bold new series
- Star Trek: Picard's dog is more important than you might think
- How Picard Reprograms Robotics in the Star Trek Universe
- Whoopi Goldberg to Return as Guinan in Star Trek: Picard Season 2
- Why Patrick Stewart Chose to Return in Star Trek: Picard
- 'Star Trek: Picard': Why does Trek endure? TNG's Marina Sirtis and Brent Spiner explain
- Star Trek: Picard Episode 1 Ending Explained
- Star Trek: Picard: What Happened to Romulus?
- Star Trek: Picard Premiere's Surprising Final Scene, Explained
- Whoopi Goldberg tears as Patrick Stewart offers Star Trek Picard 2 role
- STAR TREK: PICARD Review: An Engaging But Uneven Start
- How 'Logan' Convinced Patrick Stewart He Could Return to 'Star Trek'
- Patrick Stewart Asks Whoopi Goldberg To Rejoin 'Star Trek'
- How Picard Makes the 2009 Star Trek Reboot Relevant Again
- Data's Daughters, Dahj's Death & Synthetic Cloning Explained
- 'We are not the starched uniform-wearing crew of old': a messier, more human 'Star Trek' in 'Picard'
- Star Trek: Picard Season 1 Episode 1 Review
- Goldsman And Chabon On Data
- Star Trek: Picard 'engages' critics in first reviews