Star Trek: Picard Reveals Picard's New Starship
Star Trek: Picard will catch up with Star Trek: The Next Generation’s Capt. Jean-Luc Picard years after the events of Star Trek: Nemesis. But he isn’t a Starfleet captain anymore. Though Picard achieved the rank of admiral, he left Starfleet behind and retired to his family’s vineyard on Earth. But even before leaving Starfleet, Picard left the Enterprise behind and took command of a new ship. That ship is revealed in today’s Star Trek: Picard — Countdown #1, the first issue of the Star Trek: Picard prequel comic series. Spoilers for Star Trek: Picard — Countdown #1 by Kirsten Beyer, Mike Johnson, and Angel Hernandez follow.
The issue’s story takes place in 2385, two years before Romulus is destroyed by a supernova and several years before the events of Star Trek: Picard. Starfleet and the Romulan Empire know that the supernova is going to happen and so the Romulans have begrudgingly accepted Starfleet’s aid in evacuating endangered worlds in their space. Picard, recognized by the Romulans as the hero who overthrew the usurper Shinzon, is leading the mission.
But Picard isn’t commanding the Enterprise on this mission. He’s commanding the USS Verity NCC-97000. Though they don’t specify the ship’s class in the text, it is the spitting image of the Odyssey-class vessels from Star Trek Online.
In Star Trek Online, the USS Enterprise-F is an Odyssey-class vessel. The two-page spread of the Verity in the issue looks like it used the below concept artwork of the Enterprise-F as reference.
The Odyssey-class Starships are the biggest Starfleet has ever built, dwarfing even Galaxy-class ships like the Enterprise-D. Here’s concept artwork schematic of the Odyssey-class.
The conversation that takes place in the issue between Picard and Cmdr. Geordi La Forge confirms that the Enterprise is still in operation at this point in time. It doesn’t reveal if the ship has been upgraded to an Odyssey-class, nor does it reveal who is in command of the ship.
What do you think of Picard’s new ship? Let us know in the comments. Star Trek: Picard — Countdown #1. Star Trek: Picard premiers on CBS All Access on January 23rd.
Star Trek: Picard — Countdown #1
(W) Mike Johnson, Kirsten Beyer (A) Angel Hernandez
You've seen the trailer... now, witness the events leading to CBS All Access's Picard. Before he retired to his vineyard, Jean-Luc Picard was the most decorated admiral in Starfleet. Then one mission changed his life forever. The Countdown starts here!
In Shops: Nov 27, 2019
More on this: 12 stories
- Star Trek: Picard Prequel Gives Geordi The Respect He Deserves
- Star Trek: Picard Prequel Reveals What Happened to Two TNG Favorites
- Is Star Trek: Picard Teasing a New Enterprise?
- Star Trek: Picard Hints at New Enterprise Captain
- Star Trek Reveals Why Picard Lost Faith In The Federation
- Star Trek: Picard Prequel Teases The Enterprise's New Captain
- Star Trek: What The Next Generation Crew Are Doing When Picard Begins
- Star Trek: Picard Reveals Picard's New First Officer
- Star Trek: Picard Reveals the Mission That Leads to Picard Leaving Stafleet
- Star Trek: Picard Reveals What Happened to Geordi La Forge
- Star Trek: Picard prequel confirms Next Generation's Geordi La Forge is now a commanding officer
- Star Trek: Picard Prequel Comic Confirms The Fate Of Geordi La Forge