“Star Trek: Discovery”: Alex Kurtzman, Julie McNamara Update Michelle Yeoh Spinoff “Section 31”
CBS All Access has been having a pretty good time playing in the Star Trek sandbox since the streamer’s debut. From the success of Star Trek: Discovery (warp-factoring its way to a third season) to the highly-anticipated Patrick Stewart-returning Picard, the franchise has been burning red hot on the television front. With anthology series Short Treks and upcoming animated comedy series Lower Decks, the streaming service has shown a willingness to have a little fun while they’re at it.
But just like the franchise, we can’t help looking to the future. In this case, we’re talking Section 31 – a Discovery spinoff series that would have Michelle Yeoh returning as Philippa Georgiou to expand upon her character’s current position as a member of the “shadow intelligence group” that operates from within the Federation.
With CBS and Viacom preparing for a merger that will bring their respective movies and series under the Paramount shingle, Star Trek showrunner Alex Kurtzman and CBS All Access’ Julie McNamara sat down with Vanity Fair to discuss the franchise’s past, present, and future on the streaming service.
During the course of the interview, Kurtzman and McNamara offered fans an update on the series – here are the highlights:
● While Yeoh is still working on the “current season” of Discovery, McNamara revealed that Kurtzman’s assembled a writer’s room and scripts are in motion:
● For Kurtzman, Section 31 represents the darker aspects of the franchise’s universe that hasn’t really been explored before so it was important that it had a different tone and its own unique mythology:
About Ray Flook
Proudly serving as TV Editor, Ray started with Bleeding Cool in 2013 as a contributing writer/photographer before being brought aboard as staff in 2017. Counting John Cusack as his pop culture "spirit animal," his "word fu" stays strong as he continues trying really hard to be the sheppard...
More on this: 407 stories
- D.C. Fontana of Star Trek has passed away at the age of 80
- Everything to know about 'Star Trek: Section 31'
- Star Trek: TNG: 5 Villains Fans Love To Hate (& 5 They Just Hate)
- D.C. Fontana, Groundbreaking Star Trek Writer, Passes Away at 80
- "Star Trek" Writer Dorothy "D.C." Fontana Passes Away, Age 80
- DC Fontana, 'Star Trek' Writer, Dies at 80
- 'Star Trek' Writer D.C. Fontana Dies at 80
- Star Trek's D.C. Fontana Dies at 80
- Iconic Star Trek Writer Dorothy "D.C." Fontana Passes Away at 80
- 'Star Trek' writer D.C. Fontana dies at 80
- Star Trek Writer D.C. Fontana Passes Away At 80
- Dorothy Fontana, Legendary 'Star Trek' Writer, Dies at 80
- How Star Trek Fans Reacted To Spock's Death (Badly)
- Star Trek: TOS: 5 Villains Fans Love To Hate (And 5 They Just Hate)
- D.C. Fontana Dead: Pioneering 'Star Trek' Writer Was 80
- Patrick Stewart to be Honored at 2020 Makeup Artists and Hair Stylists Guild Awards
- Star Trek: Picard Prequel Reveals What Happened to Two TNG Favorites
- Star Trek: Don't Expect to See Picard's Beard in the New Series
- Star Trek: Discovery's UK TV premiere date announced
- Star Trek: Discovery Was Always Going to Be About Women of Color
- Star Trek: Discovery UK Television Premiere Date Announced
- New Star Trek: Voyager Collection From La-La Land Records
- "Snake Eyes" Gets A Daddy From "Expanse"
- Star Trek: Picard Has a Very Different Borg Story From The Next Generation
- Star Trek: Discovery Was Always Going To Focus On Women Of Color