Paramount Confirms Two New Star Trek Movies In The Works
The Star Trekfranchise has stalled on the big screen over the past few years, with it instead expanding on its traditional home of TV. However, things are now looking up for the movie series, too, as it’s been confirmed that two separate Trek films are in the works. Namely, Quentin Tarantino’s R-Rated take on Trek and Star Trek 4, which writer/director Noah Hawley recently boarded.
This news comes via ViacomCBS CEO Bob Bakish, who revealed at the UBS Global Technology, Media & Telecommunications Conference in New York that Paramount is currently moving forward with both projects simultaneously. At one stage, Tarantino’s movie seemed to be an effective replacement for ST4, but when Hawley was hired last month fans wondered whether QT’s project was being shelved. Neither seems to be the case, though, and the studio is simply looking to double its output.
No release dates have been set yet and it remains to be seen which one will arrive in theaters first, but both filmmakers have just come off the backs of other movies – Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Lucy in the Sky, respectively – so each could make their Trek pics their next project. Given Tarantino’s way of working, I’d speculate Star Trek 4 will be the first one out of the door, as QT takes his time to develop his unique slant on the sci-fi universe, but right now, it’s hard to say.
In any case, both movies are expected to bring back the cast of the Kelvin timeline, as Tarantino has already confirmed he wants to work with Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto, though the plot could involve time travel and crossover with The Original Series. As for Hawley’s flick, Pine has indeed signed up for it, despite initially walking away from an earlier version of the sequel, with the rest of the cast members expected to return as well.
Tell us, though, which of these two Star Trekmovies are you most looking forward to? Beam on over to the comments section and share your thoughts.
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
More on this: 723 stories
- Trump unveils new Space Force logo (yes, it looks like something from 'Star Trek')
- Star Trek: Picard Episode 1
- Trump's Space Force Logo Looks a Lot Like the Star Trek Insignia
- Patrick Stewart invites Whoopi Goldberg to reprise her TNG Guinan role on season 2 of 'Star Trek: Picard'!
- "Star Trek: Picard": How Mars Attack Connects to 2009 Film [VIDEO]
- Star Trek fans mock Donald Trump after he unveils new Space Force logo
- Trump presents new Star Trek-style logo for Space Force
- Star Trek: Why Picard Quit Starfleet Explained
- The logo for Donald Trump's US Space Force looks like the Star Trek badge
- Trump Unveils Logo For New United States Space Force
- Star Trek: Trump unveils new Space Force logo nearly identical to Starfleet Command
- Donald Trump's Space Force Logo a Star Trek Knockoff?
- U.S. Space Force logo prompts comparisons to 'Star Trek'
- US Space Force logo may look like a Star Trek rip-off, but only if you miss the obvious 'RUSSIAN connection'
- Trump unveils logo for Starfleet ... er, Space Force ... and Trekkers take to Twitter
- Star Trek's George Takei Asks For Royalties From Donald Trump's Space Force Logo
- Trump unveils Space Force logo, draws Star Trek comparisons
- Is Trump's Space Force Logo a Ripoff of Starfleet's From 'Star Trek'?
- Star Trek legend George Takei demands royalties after seeing US Space Force logo
- Trump tweets new Space Force logo. 'Star Trek' fans think it looks familiar.
- Trump's new Space Force logo looks awfully familiar to Star Trek fans
- Patrick Stewart Reveals First Contact is Favorite Star Trek Movie
- Constable Odo Returns in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Comic Book
- All Star Trek: Picard's Easter eggs and hidden references in episode one
- U.S. Space Force Logo Looks A LOT Like Star Trek's Starfleet Logo