Patrick Stewart Wanted Star Trek: Picard To Be Like Logan
It was a huge surprise when Sir Patrick Stewart announced he was returning to the role of Jean-Luc Picard a year ago, as the actor had previously gone on record saying he was done with Star Trek. Since then, Stewart’s clarified that it took some convincing to get him back in the fold as he was keen to do something interesting with the character and not just rehash the past.
Now, the star has explained that his aim for Star Trek: Picardwas for it to be like his final X-Men movie Logan. Speaking at Destination Star Trek in Birmingham, Stewart opened up about what went down at his second meeting with Picard‘s producers. Having already been pitched the idea of coming back, Stewart took the lead of the meeting and challenged the EPs to come up with something similar to Logan, which offered a more mature, very different slant on the X-Men universe.
It seems the writers and producers of the show rose to his challenge, as Stewart can now reflect on the experience of reprising his role as a fulfilling one as it felt just as “brand new” as he had hoped.
We’ve seen from the trailers so far just how different Picard is from TNG. The former Starfleet officer himself is a much changed man, and the tone seems much more modern and contemporary. That said, it’ll still honor Jean-Luc’s past and will also bring back many of his old friends. William Riker (Jonathan Frakes), Deanna Troi (Marina Sirtis) and Data (Brent Spiner) are all returning, with possibly more to come.
Star Trek: Picardarrives on CBS All Access from January 23rd. Let’s hope it’s just as well received as Logan was.
More on this: 723 stories
- Trump unveils new Space Force logo (yes, it looks like something from 'Star Trek')
- Star Trek: Picard Episode 1
- Trump's Space Force Logo Looks a Lot Like the Star Trek Insignia
- Patrick Stewart invites Whoopi Goldberg to reprise her TNG Guinan role on season 2 of 'Star Trek: Picard'!
- "Star Trek: Picard": How Mars Attack Connects to 2009 Film [VIDEO]
- Star Trek fans mock Donald Trump after he unveils new Space Force logo
- Trump presents new Star Trek-style logo for Space Force
- Star Trek: Why Picard Quit Starfleet Explained
- The logo for Donald Trump's US Space Force looks like the Star Trek badge
- Trump Unveils Logo For New United States Space Force
- Star Trek: Trump unveils new Space Force logo nearly identical to Starfleet Command
- Donald Trump's Space Force Logo a Star Trek Knockoff?
- U.S. Space Force logo prompts comparisons to 'Star Trek'
- US Space Force logo may look like a Star Trek rip-off, but only if you miss the obvious 'RUSSIAN connection'
- Trump unveils logo for Starfleet ... er, Space Force ... and Trekkers take to Twitter
- Star Trek's George Takei Asks For Royalties From Donald Trump's Space Force Logo
- Trump unveils Space Force logo, draws Star Trek comparisons
- Is Trump's Space Force Logo a Ripoff of Starfleet's From 'Star Trek'?
- Star Trek legend George Takei demands royalties after seeing US Space Force logo
- Trump tweets new Space Force logo. 'Star Trek' fans think it looks familiar.
- Trump's new Space Force logo looks awfully familiar to Star Trek fans
- Patrick Stewart Reveals First Contact is Favorite Star Trek Movie
- Constable Odo Returns in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Comic Book
- All Star Trek: Picard's Easter eggs and hidden references in episode one
- U.S. Space Force Logo Looks A LOT Like Star Trek's Starfleet Logo