Quentin Tarantino "Steering Away" From His Planned 'Star Trek' Movie
Bad news for those who hoped to see Quentin Tarantino head into space to lend his talents to Starfleet: In a new interview, the Once Upon A Time in Hollywood director suggests that, despite earlier reports, he won’t be getting involved with the Star Trek franchise after all.
“I think I’m steering away from Star Trek, but I haven’t had an official conversation with those guys yet,” Tarantino told Consequence of Sound when talking about his future plans, and whether a potential Trek would count as one of the 10 movies he’s talked about making before retiring.
This Week In Heat Vision breakdown
He went on, “In a strange way, it seems like this movie, Hollywood, would be my last. So, I’ve kind of taken the pressure off myself to make that last big voilà kind of statement. I mean to such a degree there was a moment when I was writing and went, ‘Should I do this now? Should I do something else? Is this the 10th one?’ No, no don’t stop the planets from aligning, what are you, Galactus? If the Earth is saying do it, do it.”
It’s been two years since Tarantino’s involvement in the franchise was first revealed, with Revenant screenwriter Mark L. Smith signing on to script based on Tarantino’s idea just weeks after the project’s existence was revealed. During the press tour for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood this summer, he spoke about Trek openly as though it was still something that had his interest.
With Tarantino’s seeming retreat from the idea, it’s unclear what will happen to the project; as recently as last week, ViacomCBS CEO Bob Bakish was talking about two separate Star Trek movies in active development, beyond the multiple television Treks in the works for CBS All Access. Presumably, one of those films was Tarantino's and the other was Star Trek 4, to be written and directed by Noah Hawley.
HEAT VISION LATEST NEWSView All
1.Quentin Tarantino "Steering Away" From His Planned 'Star Trek' Movie
2.Digital Platforms Aim to Streamline Hollywood Styling Process
3.John Lennon's Round Glasses Sell for $187K at Auction
4.Whoopi Goldberg Tells Meghan McCain to "Stop Talking" During Heated Argument on 'The View'
5.Veteran HBO PR Exec Mara Mikialian to Exit Amid WarnerMedia Changes
More on this: 723 stories
- Trump unveils new Space Force logo (yes, it looks like something from 'Star Trek')
- Star Trek: Picard Episode 1
- Trump's Space Force Logo Looks a Lot Like the Star Trek Insignia
- Patrick Stewart invites Whoopi Goldberg to reprise her TNG Guinan role on season 2 of 'Star Trek: Picard'!
- "Star Trek: Picard": How Mars Attack Connects to 2009 Film [VIDEO]
- Star Trek fans mock Donald Trump after he unveils new Space Force logo
- Trump presents new Star Trek-style logo for Space Force
- Star Trek: Why Picard Quit Starfleet Explained
- The logo for Donald Trump's US Space Force looks like the Star Trek badge
- Trump Unveils Logo For New United States Space Force
- Star Trek: Trump unveils new Space Force logo nearly identical to Starfleet Command
- Donald Trump's Space Force Logo a Star Trek Knockoff?
- U.S. Space Force logo prompts comparisons to 'Star Trek'
- US Space Force logo may look like a Star Trek rip-off, but only if you miss the obvious 'RUSSIAN connection'
- Trump unveils logo for Starfleet ... er, Space Force ... and Trekkers take to Twitter
- Star Trek's George Takei Asks For Royalties From Donald Trump's Space Force Logo
- Trump unveils Space Force logo, draws Star Trek comparisons
- Is Trump's Space Force Logo a Ripoff of Starfleet's From 'Star Trek'?
- Star Trek legend George Takei demands royalties after seeing US Space Force logo
- Trump tweets new Space Force logo. 'Star Trek' fans think it looks familiar.
- Trump's new Space Force logo looks awfully familiar to Star Trek fans
- Patrick Stewart Reveals First Contact is Favorite Star Trek Movie
- Constable Odo Returns in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Comic Book
- All Star Trek: Picard's Easter eggs and hidden references in episode one
- U.S. Space Force Logo Looks A LOT Like Star Trek's Starfleet Logo