William Shatner says Star Trek and WWE fans are all ‘nuts’
Star Wars and Star Trek fans have long been pitched against each other in the battle for sci-fi supremacy – but William Shatner thinks another group can match them for tenacious adoration.
The Star Trek legend appeared on WWE Backstage this week, and he admitted it was tough to choose between his own fanbase and the WWE Universe when it comes to ‘passion’.
Asked by former world champion Christian to compare the two, he said: ‘Ooh, that’s a good question. Well, I gotta tell you – the fanbase of WWE are… they’re crazy, I mean, with passion. They want the winner and they’re nuts!
‘Now, the Star Trek group are equally nuts, but their passion is for Star Trek and me!’
In the end, the personal connection there means Shatner – who married wife Elizabeth in 2011 – gave his own fans the edge, although there’s admittedly some bias there.
That said, the 88-year-old actor is certainly no stranger to the world of sports entertainment, having once treated fans to a video of him delivering renditions of top entrance songs in his own signature spoken word style.
Shatner first became a fan after watching the Silver Age of Wrestling at the Forum in Montreal, and years later his clash with Jerry ‘The King’ Lawler – who he went on to induct into the Hall of Fame in 2007 – on a 1995 episode of Monday Night Raw.
Elsewhere on WWE Backstage – hosted this week but Renee Young, Booker T, Christian and Ember Moon – the show also welcomed Alexa Bliss, who was given the chance to respond to a Twitter hater in the best way.
She blasted: ‘So, most of the people that say that I suck, I don’t deserve to be here, I’m not a wrestling, they’re normally keyboard warriors who think I didn’t pay my dues. I trained my entire life as a gymnast, track, kickboxing, softball, all star cheerleader. I won multiple national titles, one of the youngest people to ever get a pro card in bodybuilding, spent 40 hours a week in the gym training.
‘I respect everyone’s background, but I don’t deserve to be here because I didn’t wrestle in a backyard in front of 10 people? I was performing in front of thousands every single week growing up, sacrificing my childhood.
‘So yeah, maybe my pretty face got me to the door, but my work ethic knocked the damn thing down. No one can ever take that from me.’
Got a showbiz story?
If you've got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us email@example.com, calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page - we'd love to hear from you.Home › Entertainment › Film
More on this: 733 stories
- "Star Trek: Picard" Season 1 "Maps and Legends" Preview: Picard Journey
- Jeri Ryan brings Borg back to 'Star Trek Online' as well as 'Picard'
- Star Trek: Jeri Ryan Talks Voyager Reunion Potential After Picard
- Downton Abbey star wants it to be a "Star Trek franchise"
- Star Trek: Picard's Stewart Explains Why the New Number One Is a Pit Bull
- Star Trek: Picard's Anger At Starfleet Means More Than You Think
- Star Trek: Why Jean-Luc Kept His Picard Day Banner
- 9 Strange Star Trek Crossovers That You Won't Believe Really Happened (& 1 That Almost Did)
- Star Trek: Picard Helps CBS All Access Break Streaming Records
- Star Trek: Picard: Season 1
- Star Trek: Picard's Chateau Has a Tragic History
- Star Trek: Picard Finally Shows TNG's Daystrom Institute
- Star Trek: Picard's Patrick Stewart Reveals Story Behind Jean-Luc's New Number One
- Star Trek: Picard Introduces Mystery of Killer Synthetics Gone Rogue
- Star Trek Fans Want Paramount To Sue Space Force Over Similar Logo
- Star Trek: Picard Is Already Breaking Records For CBS All Access
- The Future of 'Star Trek' and Why the 'Doors Are Just Opening' for a Film-TV Crossover
- Star Trek: Picard star Isa Briones was kept in the dark about episode 1's major plot twist
- Star Trek: Picard Properly Explains The Kelvin Timeline's Origin
- Star Trek: Picard - Bruce Maddox & the Daystrom Institute, Explained
- 10 Dangling Subplots From Star Trek: TNG That Picard Could Finally Wrap Up
- Explaining Star Trek: Picard episode one
- Star Trek: IMDb Spoiled Picard's Big Twist
- Donald Trump's US Space Force logo is spookily similar to Starfleet Command's
- Star Trek: Picard: Isa Briones wasn't told Dahj twist till last minute