Star Trek: Picard trailer drops and teases Patrick Stewart’s return as the iconic captain
The spin-off will premiere on Amazon Prime Video in the UK next month and will be launching on CBS All-Access in the US too.
X-Men actor Sir Patrick previously portrayed Captain Jean-Luc Picard in sequel series Star Trek: The Next Generation.
Now, the new show will catch up with Picard decades after the events of his original series.
The exciting new trailer previews Picard’s return into the fold. ‘I was haunted by my past,’ he says. ‘But I have a new mission. I will do what needs to be done.’
Of course, we’re also treated to hints of space battles galore, with Picard taking his mission into deep space.
While Star Trek fans can’t wait for the new spin-off to debut, it’s not the last they’ll see of the iconic captain as the show has already been renewed for season two before even airing one episode.
According to Deadline, the series has been given $20.4million (£15.3million) in California tax incentives with the series heading into a 10-episode order.
After his years as a star fleet captain, Picard has retired and has set up home in his vineyard, willing the days away in his new content life.
But he is soon joined by a mysterious young woman Dahj in the new chapter of his life, who he seeks to help after coming to believe is in imminent danger.
Speaking to TrekCore, writer Alex Kurtzman said: ‘You know, we feel a tremendous responsibility to the fans who have loved [the Picard character], and Patrick himself, who took a massive leap of faith with us in choosing to come back and play Picard [after] he said he was done forever.
‘He also said, “I want to make sure if I come back, if you loved The Next Generation, you’ll feel we’re honouring it, but this is a very different experience.” This is a very different experience.’
Picard was one of the 15 TV series that were awarded these credits, which aim to ultimately help increase revenue for the state.
Other shows who received money from the state include Impeachment: American Crime Story, Netflix’s Special renewed for season two, Lucifer season five and the remake of Grease.
Star Trek: Picard launches 24 January on Amazon Prime Video in the UK.
Got a showbiz story?
If you've got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us email@example.com, calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page - we'd love to hear from you.Home › Entertainment › TV
More on this: 733 stories
- "Star Trek: Picard" Season 1 "Maps and Legends" Preview: Picard Journey
- Jeri Ryan brings Borg back to 'Star Trek Online' as well as 'Picard'
- Star Trek: Jeri Ryan Talks Voyager Reunion Potential After Picard
- Downton Abbey star wants it to be a "Star Trek franchise"
- Star Trek: Picard's Stewart Explains Why the New Number One Is a Pit Bull
- Star Trek: Picard's Anger At Starfleet Means More Than You Think
- Star Trek: Why Jean-Luc Kept His Picard Day Banner
- 9 Strange Star Trek Crossovers That You Won't Believe Really Happened (& 1 That Almost Did)
- Star Trek: Picard Helps CBS All Access Break Streaming Records
- Star Trek: Picard: Season 1
- Star Trek: Picard's Chateau Has a Tragic History
- Star Trek: Picard Finally Shows TNG's Daystrom Institute
- Star Trek: Picard's Patrick Stewart Reveals Story Behind Jean-Luc's New Number One
- Star Trek: Picard Introduces Mystery of Killer Synthetics Gone Rogue
- Star Trek Fans Want Paramount To Sue Space Force Over Similar Logo
- Star Trek: Picard Is Already Breaking Records For CBS All Access
- The Future of 'Star Trek' and Why the 'Doors Are Just Opening' for a Film-TV Crossover
- Star Trek: Picard star Isa Briones was kept in the dark about episode 1's major plot twist
- Star Trek: Picard Properly Explains The Kelvin Timeline's Origin
- Star Trek: Picard - Bruce Maddox & the Daystrom Institute, Explained
- 10 Dangling Subplots From Star Trek: TNG That Picard Could Finally Wrap Up
- Explaining Star Trek: Picard episode one
- Star Trek: IMDb Spoiled Picard's Big Twist
- Donald Trump's US Space Force logo is spookily similar to Starfleet Command's
- Star Trek: Picard: Isa Briones wasn't told Dahj twist till last minute