Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek is Still Possible, Says Simon Pegg
Despite reports on the contrary, Star Trek star Simon Pegg has revealed visionary film director Quentin Tarantino's idea for the series could still yet become a reality. Only recently, the acclaimed filmmaker suggested he was "steering away" from the project, seemingly confirming that he would be tackling something else altogether for what is said to be his tenth and final picture. However, all hope may not be lost for what would surely be an explicit, four-letter-word-laden Tarantino Star Trek installment after all.
It's public knowledge now that Quentin Tarantino pitched his vision for a Star Trek movie to the man who revived the series for the big screen in the first place and has since stayed on as a producer, Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker director J.J. Abrams. Enticed by what he heard, the proposal was then forwarded to a writer's room, with Mark L. Smith eventually brought on board to script the screenplay. Tarantino's thoughts on the draft were then being awaited before the project could move forward. However, this was all before Tarantino hinted at moving on to an alternative project.Click the button below to start this article in quick view. Start now
Now, Scotty's newest actor has resurrected hopes the movie could become more than just a pipe dream. ComicBookreports that Simon Pegg has stated, "As far as I know, Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek idea is still kind of in the mix. That's down to Q.T. as far as what he wants to do next." Whether the Star Trek alum's words can be taken seriously remains to be seen, though, as he also confesses to "talking out of my ass."
The CEO of ViacomCBS has already given the go ahead for two more Star Trek films - one of which could very well turn out to be the Once Upon a Time in Hollywood's director's version, perhaps following what the studio already has in store for the upcoming Star Trek 4, which Noah Hawley is set to helm. If Tarantino does decide to branch off into something else for his swan song, it remains possible his rendition of Star Trek could be adapted by a different director.
It's assumed Quentin Tarantino would be sticking with the current cast of Star Trek actors and the same continuity if he does decide to take the director's chair. With the latest trilogy of Star Trek motion pictures being somewhat of a mixed bag, it would be intriguing to see what Tarantino could bring to the universe. A more mature offering could be just the shot in the arm the franchise needs, and with the success of films like Logan, Deadpool and Joker, Paramount may not be so reluctant to dabble into R rated territory, despite Star Trek being a non-comic book-centered property.
More on this: 733 stories
- "Star Trek: Picard" Season 1 "Maps and Legends" Preview: Picard Journey
- Jeri Ryan brings Borg back to 'Star Trek Online' as well as 'Picard'
- Star Trek: Jeri Ryan Talks Voyager Reunion Potential After Picard
- Downton Abbey star wants it to be a "Star Trek franchise"
- Star Trek: Picard's Stewart Explains Why the New Number One Is a Pit Bull
- Star Trek: Picard's Anger At Starfleet Means More Than You Think
- Star Trek: Why Jean-Luc Kept His Picard Day Banner
- 9 Strange Star Trek Crossovers That You Won't Believe Really Happened (& 1 That Almost Did)
- Star Trek: Picard Helps CBS All Access Break Streaming Records
- Star Trek: Picard: Season 1
- Star Trek: Picard's Chateau Has a Tragic History
- Star Trek: Picard Finally Shows TNG's Daystrom Institute
- Star Trek: Picard's Patrick Stewart Reveals Story Behind Jean-Luc's New Number One
- Star Trek: Picard Introduces Mystery of Killer Synthetics Gone Rogue
- Star Trek Fans Want Paramount To Sue Space Force Over Similar Logo
- Star Trek: Picard Is Already Breaking Records For CBS All Access
- The Future of 'Star Trek' and Why the 'Doors Are Just Opening' for a Film-TV Crossover
- Star Trek: Picard star Isa Briones was kept in the dark about episode 1's major plot twist
- Star Trek: Picard Properly Explains The Kelvin Timeline's Origin
- Star Trek: Picard - Bruce Maddox & the Daystrom Institute, Explained
- 10 Dangling Subplots From Star Trek: TNG That Picard Could Finally Wrap Up
- Explaining Star Trek: Picard episode one
- Star Trek: IMDb Spoiled Picard's Big Twist
- Donald Trump's US Space Force logo is spookily similar to Starfleet Command's
- Star Trek: Picard: Isa Briones wasn't told Dahj twist till last minute