‘Star Trek: Picard’ Renewed for Season 2 at CBS All Access
Patrick Stewart’s return as Captain Picard isn’t going to be a one-season affair.
The new show stars Stewart as he reprises his iconic, titular role as Jean-Luc Picard, which he played for seven seasons on “: The Next Generation.” Isa Briones, Santiago Cabrera, Michelle Hurd, Alison Pill, Harry Treadaway and Evan Evagora also star. The series is produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Secret Hideout and Roddenberry Entertainment.
Stewart and CBS’s “Star Trek” universe chief Alex Kurtzman executive produce alongside Michael Chabon, Akiva Goldsman, James Duff, Heather Kadin, Rod Roddenberry and Trevor Roth. Aaron Baiers serves as co-executive producer and Kirsten Beyer is a supervising producer.
Chabon had previously been named as the showrunner back in June, but the prolific author recently set an adaptation of his “Kavalier and Clay” novels at Showtime as part of an overall deal with CBS TV Studios, meaning that he is slated to step away from “Picard” to run that other project sometime in 2020.
Season 1 of “Picard” will premiere on Jan. 23, 2020. declined to comment.
News of the renewal became evident when the California Film Commission announced which shows would be receiving tax credits in the upcoming year on Monday morning. A season 2 of “Star Trek: Picard” was on the list alongside four new shows including “Nine Perfect Strangers” starring and executive produced by Nicole Kidman, and the “Untitled Showtime Lakers Project” at HBO which hails from executive producer Adam McKay.
“Picard” is the latest in a growing line of series that CBS is rolling out to build up its “Star Trek” TV universe. In addition to “Star Trek: Discovery,” which finished airing its second season on All Access back in April, upcoming shows include the animated comedy “Star Trek: Lower Decks” and a Nickelodeon animated series as well. A drama series centered on Michelle Yeoh’s character from “Discovery” is also currently in development at All Access.
More on this: 733 stories
- "Star Trek: Picard" Season 1 "Maps and Legends" Preview: Picard Journey
- Jeri Ryan brings Borg back to 'Star Trek Online' as well as 'Picard'
- Star Trek: Jeri Ryan Talks Voyager Reunion Potential After Picard
- Downton Abbey star wants it to be a "Star Trek franchise"
- Star Trek: Picard's Stewart Explains Why the New Number One Is a Pit Bull
- Star Trek: Picard's Anger At Starfleet Means More Than You Think
- Star Trek: Why Jean-Luc Kept His Picard Day Banner
- 9 Strange Star Trek Crossovers That You Won't Believe Really Happened (& 1 That Almost Did)
- Star Trek: Picard Helps CBS All Access Break Streaming Records
- Star Trek: Picard: Season 1
- Star Trek: Picard's Chateau Has a Tragic History
- Star Trek: Picard Finally Shows TNG's Daystrom Institute
- Star Trek: Picard's Patrick Stewart Reveals Story Behind Jean-Luc's New Number One
- Star Trek: Picard Introduces Mystery of Killer Synthetics Gone Rogue
- Star Trek Fans Want Paramount To Sue Space Force Over Similar Logo
- Star Trek: Picard Is Already Breaking Records For CBS All Access
- The Future of 'Star Trek' and Why the 'Doors Are Just Opening' for a Film-TV Crossover
- Star Trek: Picard star Isa Briones was kept in the dark about episode 1's major plot twist
- Star Trek: Picard Properly Explains The Kelvin Timeline's Origin
- Star Trek: Picard - Bruce Maddox & the Daystrom Institute, Explained
- 10 Dangling Subplots From Star Trek: TNG That Picard Could Finally Wrap Up
- Explaining Star Trek: Picard episode one
- Star Trek: IMDb Spoiled Picard's Big Twist
- Donald Trump's US Space Force logo is spookily similar to Starfleet Command's
- Star Trek: Picard: Isa Briones wasn't told Dahj twist till last minute