Don't Expect Star Trek: Picard to Immediately Head Into Space
While Star Trek: Picard will inevitably return its title character to the cosmos he once explored captaining the U.S.S. Enterprise, the series' producers have revealed that Jean-Luc won't eagerly drop his entire retired life to blast off into outer space immediately.
CBS' head of Star Trek programming and Picard executive producer Alex Kurtzman noted that the series deliberately takes the time to explore life on Earth before Picard sets out into the stars with a mysterious young girl named Dahj.
"I don’t think people look at Picard and go, ‘I can’t wait to watch that action show,'" observed Kurtzman in an interview with TV Line. "I think they look at Picard and they want a deep character study.”Click the button below to start this article in quick view. Start now
While Picard does eventually return to the stars on a new adventure, executive producer Heather Kadin revealed that the series' first three episodes take place primarily on Earth to explore the world more. Star Patrick Stewart expanded on this, with the observation that more of Earth is seen in Picard than the entirety of Star Trek: The Next Generation.
"Getting Picard through all the phases of what it’s going to take him to actually leave that vineyard and decide to go to the stars is not something we wanted to rush," continued Kurtzman. "We wanted to just let it sit and let each moment be believable and let that outcome become inevitable.”
Star Trek: Picard stars Patrick Stewart, Alison Pill, Michelle Hurd, Evan Evagora, Isa Briones, Santiago Cabrera and Harry Treadaway. The series is set to premiere on CBS All Access Jan. 23.
More on this: 836 stories
- Star Trek Author Dayton Ward Reveals the Secrets of Kirk Fu
- Star Trek Writer Comments on the Future of the Relaunch Timeline
- Star Trek: Jonathan Frakes Says Picard Scene Would Never Have Happened Under Gene Roddenberry
- Frakes' Favorite Star Trek: Picard Scene
- Picard: Frakes Says Star Trek Creator Would Have Hated His Episode
- Star Trek: Discovery Season 3 Wraps Filming
- Star Trek: Picard Gets Star Trek's Economics Wrong
- Star Trek: Picard Episode 5
- Star Trek: Yesterday's Enterprise Almost Had a Much Darker Ending
- Star Trek: Picard Almost Didn't Bring Back Jonathan Frakes as Will Riker
- Star Trek: Picard's Riker Appearance Breaks a Star Trek Actor Record
- Star Trek: Picard's New Doctor Is Already More Important Than You Think
- Star Trek 4 Director Reportedly Doesn't Want Original Cast To Return
- Star Trek: Seven of Nine's Tragic Picard Story Deserves Its Own Spinoff
- New Star Trek Movie, Two More TV Shows Confirmed In Development
- Star Trek: Picard Subtly Reused Voyager's Theme Tune Perfectly
- Star Trek: Picard Confirms DS9's [SPOILER] Is On Freecloud
- The 'Picard' Scene 'Star Trek' Creator Gene Roddenberry Would Hate
- Soul of Star Trek: Star Trek's End?
- One New Star Trek Movie And Two TV Shows Confirmed To Be In Development
- Star Trek: Picard Kills Off a Pivotal Franchise Character
- Enterprise BARELY edges Voyager as most underappreciated show
- Star Trek Finally Confirms A Major Character's LGBTQ Status
- Star Trek: Picard Gives Raffi A Tragic Backstory
- "Star Trek: Picard" Season 1 "Stardust City Rag" [Review]: Powerful Turn