REPORT: Marvel's Shang-Chi Casts Star Trek's Rosalind Chao
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine alum Rosalind Chao has reportedly boarded the cast of Marvel Studios' Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.
The Illuminerdi purports to have gotten ahold of a casting sheet for the upcoming Shang-Chi film, which lists Chao has being officially cast in the film in the role of 'Mom.' No other details regarding Chao's character are available at this time, but The Illuminerdi claims she will be playing the mother of Awkwafina's character. Hence, the 'Mom' placeholder name. Furthermore, if the casting sheet is to be taken as legitimate, the film still has several more roles that need to be cast.Click the button below to start this article in quick view. Start now
Chao appeared on Star Trek: The Next Generation in a recurring capacity as Keiko O'Brien. Chao played the character on the show for a total of eight episodes during the early 1990s. She went on to reprise her role in Deep Space Nine, this time appearing in 19 episodes across a longer period of time.
Should reports of Chao's Shang-Chi casting prove accurate, this also won't be her first brush with Marvel Comics adaptations. All the way back in 1979, Chao played a character named Emily Chan in a two-part episode of CBS' Amazing Spider-Man television series, which starred Nicholas Hammond as Spidey.
Chao's other television credits include Diff'rent Strokes, M*A*S*H, AfterMASH, The O.C. and Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23. She has also appeared in such films as The Big Brawl, What Dreams May Come and Freaky Friday. She will star in Disney's upcoming live-action remake of Mulan as Hua Li, Mulan's mother.
Directed by Destin Daniel Cretton, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings stars Simu Liu as Shang-Chi, Tony Leung as the Mandarin and Awkwafina. The film arrives in theaters on Feb. 12, 2021.
More on this: 840 stories
- Star Trek: Picard Reveals the New Captain of the Enterprise
- Star Trek: Picard Originally Didn't Include Jonathan Frakes' Riker
- Star Trek: Picard Finally Reveals The Enterprise's New Captain
- Jonathan Frakes on Borg Bond, Roddenberry Legacy
- Star Trek Author Dayton Ward Reveals the Secrets of Kirk Fu
- Star Trek Writer Comments on the Future of the Relaunch Timeline
- Star Trek: Jonathan Frakes Says Picard Scene Would Never Have Happened Under Gene Roddenberry
- Frakes' Favorite Star Trek: Picard Scene
- Picard: Frakes Says Star Trek Creator Would Have Hated His Episode
- Star Trek: Discovery Season 3 Wraps Filming
- Star Trek: Picard Gets Star Trek's Economics Wrong
- Star Trek: Picard Episode 5
- Star Trek 4 Could Reportedly Lose Its Director Again
- Star Trek: Yesterday's Enterprise Almost Had a Much Darker Ending
- Star Trek: Picard Almost Didn't Bring Back Jonathan Frakes as Will Riker
- Star Trek: Picard's Riker Appearance Breaks a Star Trek Actor Record
- Star Trek: Picard's New Doctor Is Already More Important Than You Think
- Toy Fair 2020: New Look at Star Trek Cats from Chronicle Collectibles
- Star Trek 4 Director Reportedly Doesn't Want Original Cast To Return
- Star Trek: Seven of Nine's Tragic Picard Story Deserves Its Own Spinoff
- New Star Trek Movie, Two More TV Shows Confirmed In Development
- Star Trek: Picard Subtly Reused Voyager's Theme Tune Perfectly
- Star Trek: Picard Confirms DS9's [SPOILER] Is On Freecloud
- The 'Picard' Scene 'Star Trek' Creator Gene Roddenberry Would Hate
- Soul of Star Trek: Star Trek's End?