'Shang-Chi' Rounds Cast with Michelle Yeoh and Rosalind Chao
Marvel Studios is now in full swing working on its Phase 4 lineup! With the official launch of new movies and TV shows set to come this May, there are dozens of new on-screen roles to be filled, and this week brings news of yet another big one. Thanks to several reports, we have learned that legendary actress Michelle Yeoh and Star Trek star Rosalind Chao have been cast for new key roles in Marvel Studios’ Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings!
This won’t be Yeoh’s first rodeo in the MCU having appeared in the Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 in a very brief role as one of the OG Guardians. This, of course, raises some eyebrows at the MCU doubling down on another actor. Even though we’ve slowly been getting more of them through the years, most of the actors get recast due to their previous MCU being inactive. Gemma Chan may be playing the lead of Eternals after starring as a villain in Captain Marvel but at least we know her character is dead. As far as we know, Aleta Ogord is still out there.
There is no word yet as to what role Chao will be playing in the film, although it is being strongly suggested that her character will be the mother of Awkwafina’s character, whose role has also not yet been disclosed. She has filled a vast variety of roles in Hollywood over the last 50 years and has a background in sci-fi as well, with recurring roles in both Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine in the 80’s and 90’s. Her next project is the highly anticipated live-action Mulan, in which she will play Mulan’s mother, releasing in March.
More on this: 836 stories
- Star Trek Author Dayton Ward Reveals the Secrets of Kirk Fu
- Star Trek Writer Comments on the Future of the Relaunch Timeline
- Star Trek: Jonathan Frakes Says Picard Scene Would Never Have Happened Under Gene Roddenberry
- Frakes' Favorite Star Trek: Picard Scene
- Picard: Frakes Says Star Trek Creator Would Have Hated His Episode
- Star Trek: Discovery Season 3 Wraps Filming
- Star Trek: Picard Gets Star Trek's Economics Wrong
- Star Trek: Picard Episode 5
- Star Trek: Yesterday's Enterprise Almost Had a Much Darker Ending
- Star Trek: Picard Almost Didn't Bring Back Jonathan Frakes as Will Riker
- Star Trek: Picard's Riker Appearance Breaks a Star Trek Actor Record
- Star Trek: Picard's New Doctor Is Already More Important Than You Think
- Star Trek 4 Director Reportedly Doesn't Want Original Cast To Return
- Star Trek: Seven of Nine's Tragic Picard Story Deserves Its Own Spinoff
- New Star Trek Movie, Two More TV Shows Confirmed In Development
- Star Trek: Picard Subtly Reused Voyager's Theme Tune Perfectly
- Star Trek: Picard Confirms DS9's [SPOILER] Is On Freecloud
- The 'Picard' Scene 'Star Trek' Creator Gene Roddenberry Would Hate
- Soul of Star Trek: Star Trek's End?
- One New Star Trek Movie And Two TV Shows Confirmed To Be In Development
- Star Trek: Picard Kills Off a Pivotal Franchise Character
- Enterprise BARELY edges Voyager as most underappreciated show
- Star Trek Finally Confirms A Major Character's LGBTQ Status
- Star Trek: Picard Gives Raffi A Tragic Backstory
- "Star Trek: Picard" Season 1 "Stardust City Rag" [Review]: Powerful Turn