Star Trek: Picard boss addresses episode 1 cliffhanger
Note: This article contains spoilers for Star Trek: Picard's season one premiere.
Star Trek: Picard finally debuted this week, and with its first episode came quite the treat for fans with a big cliffhanger.
This photo is your last spoiler warning...
At the end of the series premiere, we were taken to a Romulan reclamation site, where we are shown Soji (Isa Briones) and a Romulan named Narek (Harry Treadaway) standing on what appears to be a Borg cube.
Explaining that it was indeed what fans thought it was, executive producer Akiva Goldsman told TVLine: "Clearly, the Romulans and the Borg are dripping with history in relation to Jean-Luc Picard, so not coincidentally, they exist in our season."
He added that "is both a Romulan base and a Borg cube" and "in a way that is probably not the way you're thinking".
Fellow executive producer Heather Kadin added that it "is a weird place to leave after the first episode," adding that "hopefully, it makes people go, 'Wait, what's going on?' And then they have to keep watching."
Goldsman went on to tease more about the upcoming episodes, saying: "For us, the first three episodes are the pilot... By the end of Episode 1, you’ve met maybe two-thirds of the cast.
"We're starting these relationships, and over the next couple of episodes, they will at least solidify in the earliest form... So the first three episodes of our ten are really the first act."
Digital Spy now has a newsletter – sign up to get it sent straight to your inbox.
More on this: 827 stories
- Star Trek: Yesterday's Enterprise Almost Had a Much Darker Ending
- Star Trek: Picard Almost Didn't Bring Back Jonathan Frakes as Will Riker
- Star Trek: Picard's Riker Appearance Breaks a Star Trek Actor Record
- Star Trek: Picard's New Doctor Is Already More Important Than You Think
- Star Trek 4 Director Reportedly Doesn't Want Original Cast To Return
- Star Trek: Seven of Nine's Tragic Picard Story Deserves Its Own Spinoff
- New Star Trek Movie, Two More TV Shows Confirmed In Development
- Star Trek: Picard Subtly Reused Voyager's Theme Tune Perfectly
- Star Trek: Picard Confirms DS9's [SPOILER] Is On Freecloud
- The 'Picard' Scene 'Star Trek' Creator Gene Roddenberry Would Hate
- Soul of Star Trek: Star Trek's End?
- One New Star Trek Movie And Two TV Shows Confirmed To Be In Development
- Star Trek: Picard Kills Off a Pivotal Franchise Character
- Enterprise BARELY edges Voyager as most underappreciated show
- Star Trek Finally Confirms A Major Character's LGBTQ Status
- Star Trek: Picard Gives Raffi A Tragic Backstory
- "Star Trek: Picard" Season 1 "Stardust City Rag" [Review]: Powerful Turn
- May 2020 IDW Publishing Star Trek Comics
- 'Picard' Explained: Grief Continues to Spread Throughout 'Stardust City Rag'
- "Star Trek: Discovery" Season 3: Federation as "La Résistance"? [Key Art]
- Star Trek: Picard References TOS' Retconned First Federation
- Star Trek: 10 Best Mirror Universe Characters
- Star Trek: Picard - Icheb and the Fenris Rangers, Explained
- Star Trek: Discovery Reveals New Key Art for Season 3
- Star Trek: Picard Confirms That A Fan Favorite Character's LGBTQ