Here’s the logo for Trump’s Space Force, and it looks awfully familiar
President Donald Trump on Friday revealed the official logo for the Space Force, the newest branch of the armed forces and part of the existing United States Air Force department, in a tweet.
The Space Force, a fixation of Trump’s throughout his presidency, became a reality last month when Congress passed a $738 billion military bill that created the sixth branch of the military. And now the Air Force is responsible for branding, uniform design, and the various other requirements involved with creating a new armed force.
However, the logo appears to borrow heavily from the fictional logo of Starfleet from the Star Trek universe.
Vocal Trump critic and former Star Trek cast member George Takei also weighed in.
Analyst and former national security policy advisor John Noonan, who was a member of the USAF, commented on Twitter shortly after the announcement to point out that the Space Force logo, while similar in design to the Starfleet one, is in fact based on an existing Air Force command logo.
Adding another wrinkle to the situation is that Trump’s political action committee, the Trump Make America Great Again Committee, was polling voters back in 2018 about which Space Force logos they liked the best. And the six options provided all look drastically different then the end result we have today, with quite a few featuring NASA-inspired iconography and type faces alongside retro-futurist aesthetics.
It’s not entirely clear how the team responsible for branding the Space Force went from that to what Trump revealed this afternoon. But here we are.
Although, as one user on Twitter noted, the designers did seem to take some cues from the NASA logo, predominantly the exact placement of the stars that appear to have been copied over directly.
CBS, which owns the rights to Star Trek, was not immediately available for comment.
More on this: 838 stories
- 'Star Trek: Picard' Easter Eggs from the Borg Episode
- Star Trek: Picard Makes A Huge Change To The Galaxy
- Star Trek: Picard Just Changed The Galaxy In A Major Way
- Star Trek Picard prequel novel reveals who took over the Enterprise
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Responds to Concerns About Show's Violence and Darkness
- Ryan: Seven Trying To Survive In The Alpha Quadrant
- Star Trek Reveals A TNG Character Became Enterprise Captain After Picard
- Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen's Friendship Explained in Wired Clip
- Star Trek: Picard Explains Why The Show's So Dark And Violent
- Jeri Ryan Says She Loves Who Seven's Become On Star Trek: Picard
- Walter Koenig Calls Star Trek a 'Respite' From Trump
- Star Trek: Picard Reveals the New Captain of the Enterprise
- Picard Mocks Star Trek Creator's Problems With Casting Patrick Stewart
- Patrick Stewart Explains How He and Ian McKellen Became Inseparable
- Star Trek: Picard Originally Didn't Include Jonathan Frakes' Riker
- Star Trek: Picard Finally Reveals The Enterprise's New Captain
- Jonathan Frakes Says Star Trek: Picard Could Never Have Been Made Under Gene Roddenberry
- Jonathan Frakes on Borg Bond, Roddenberry Legacy
- Star Trek Author Dayton Ward Reveals the Secrets of Kirk Fu
- Star Trek Writer Comments on the Future of the Relaunch Timeline
- Star Trek: Jonathan Frakes Says Picard Scene Would Never Have Happened Under Gene Roddenberry
- Frakes' Favorite Star Trek: Picard Scene
- Picard: Frakes Says Star Trek Creator Would Have Hated His Episode
- Star Trek: Discovery Season 3 Wraps Filming
- Star Trek: Picard Gets Star Trek's Economics Wrong