Trump's Space Force Debuts Logo, Draws 'Star Trek' Comparisons
The intergalactic saga's Starfleet Command insignia looks strikingly similar to that of President Trump's new Air Force division, social media users noted.
The Pentagon's new U.S. Space Force is not Star Trek's Starfleet Command, but their logos bear a striking similarity.
President Donald Trump unveiled the Space Force logo Friday, writing on Twitter that he had consulted with military leaders and designers before presenting the blue-and-white symbol, which features an arrowhead shape centered on a planetary background and encircled by the words, “United States Space Force” and “Department of the Air Force.”
The logo, which bears the date 2019 in Roman numerals, also is similar in design to that of Air Force Space Command, from which Space Force was created by legislation that Trump signed in last month.
Space Force is the first new military service since the Air Force was created in 1947. It is meant mainly to improve protection of U.S. satellites and other space assets, rather than to put warriors in orbit to conduct combat in outer space. The idea became a regular applause line for Trump at his political rallies. He originally wanted a Space Force that was “separate but equal” to the Army, Navy and Air Force, but instead Congress made it part of the Department of the Air Force.
“After consultation with our Great Military Leaders, designers, and others, I am pleased to present the new logo for the United States Space Force, the Sixth Branch of our Magnificent Military!” Trump wrote.
George Takei, who played Mr. Sulu in the original Star Trek TV series and films, tweeted in response, “Ahem. We are expecting some royalties from this.”
On Friday, social media users noted the similarity. Read some of their tweets below.
More on this: 25 stories
- Star Trek: Picard: The Last Best Hope Book Review
- Space Force is looking for ideas 'in good taste' on what it should call its members
- Donald Trump's US Space Force logo is spookily similar to Starfleet Command's
- Star Wars Star Mark Hamill Has the Best I Got Kicked Out of Space Force Response Ever
- Trump unveils new Space Force logo (yes, it looks like something from 'Star Trek')
- Trump's Space Force Logo Looks a Lot Like the Star Trek Insignia
- Star Trek fans mock Donald Trump after he unveils new Space Force logo
- Trump presents new Star Trek-style logo for Space Force
- The logo for Donald Trump's US Space Force looks like the Star Trek badge
- Star Trek: Trump unveils new Space Force logo nearly identical to Starfleet Command
- Donald Trump's Space Force Logo a Star Trek Knockoff?
- U.S. Space Force logo prompts comparisons to 'Star Trek'
- US Space Force logo may look like a Star Trek rip-off, but only if you miss the obvious 'RUSSIAN connection'
- Trump unveils logo for Starfleet ... er, Space Force ... and Trekkers take to Twitter
- Star Trek's George Takei Asks For Royalties From Donald Trump's Space Force Logo
- Trump unveils Space Force logo, draws Star Trek comparisons
- Is Trump's Space Force Logo a Ripoff of Starfleet's From 'Star Trek'?
- Star Trek legend George Takei demands royalties after seeing US Space Force logo
- Trump tweets new Space Force logo. 'Star Trek' fans think it looks familiar.
- Trump's new Space Force logo looks awfully familiar to Star Trek fans
- U.S. Space Force Logo Looks A LOT Like Star Trek's Starfleet Logo
- Trump unveils Space Force logo
- U.S Space Force Issues Statement That the Origin of Their Seal Is Not Star Trek
- Space Force Renames Unit After Star Trek's Spock
- Star Trek: Elon Musk Proclaims Space Force Launch the Beginning of Starfleet