U.S. Space Force Logo Looks A LOT Like Star Trek’s Starfleet Logo
This afternoon, President Donald Trump unveiled the official logo for the United States Space Force and people were quick to realize where they'd seen it before, as the similarities between the new logo and the classic insignia for Star Trek's Starfleet are undeniable.
Lest anyone think that this new Space Force logo has been simply sitting in development for an amount of time which predates Star Trek, it's worth noting Gene Roddenberry's first Star Trek series debuted back in 1966 and has maintained a pop culture presence ever since. Most recently, Patrick Stewart's Jean-Luc Picard has returned in his own series, simply titled Star Trek:Picard, for CBS All Access. The franchise will also receive a new theatrical movie soon that will not be directed by Quentin Tarantino, though maybe one will someday, and will instead be helmed by Noah Hawley, the creator of television shows like Fargoand Legion. Currently, Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie has yet to begin filming.Click the button below to start this article in quick view. Start now
Trump's message on Twitterdisplaying the official Space Force logo has set off a blitz of reactions on the internet which range from eye-rolling over the lack of creativity to genuine excitement at the prospect of being able to join a real-life Starfleet. Many fans were quick to joke about how the United States government needs to get ready to hear from Star Trek's lawyers, and among those voices was Original Series icon George Takei, who wants to know when the royalty money will be rolling in. Check out the official image, along with Takei's response, below:
The idea for a Space Force independent from NASA and the Air Force has been kicked around since the early 2000's, but never really caught any traction until President Trump made a speech declaring the need for it in March of 2018. The idea was treated as little more than a joke by many, but on December 20th, 2019 Trump signed the National Defense Authorization Act into law, officially creating the United States Space Force. Officially, the bill transferred the pre-existing Air Force Space Command, along with the temporary transfer of 16,000 airmen and civilians, into the new Space Force as well as instilling General John Raymond of Air Force Space Command and U.S. Space Command as the very first Chief of Space Operations.
All in all, this isn't too far from what many were expecting when the Space Force was first announced. The Starfleet, Mass Effect, and Halo jokes hit the internet immediately back then, but it's safe to say the degree of accuracy on display there has caught people by surprise. It will be interesting to see how the Star Trek similarities come in to play when this whole process is satirized by Netflix's comedy series, Space Force, later this year.
More on this: 25 stories
- Star Trek: Picard: The Last Best Hope Book Review
- Space Force is looking for ideas 'in good taste' on what it should call its members
- Donald Trump's US Space Force logo is spookily similar to Starfleet Command's
- Star Wars Star Mark Hamill Has the Best I Got Kicked Out of Space Force Response Ever
- Trump unveils new Space Force logo (yes, it looks like something from 'Star Trek')
- Trump's Space Force Logo Looks a Lot Like the Star Trek Insignia
- Star Trek fans mock Donald Trump after he unveils new Space Force logo
- Trump presents new Star Trek-style logo for Space Force
- The logo for Donald Trump's US Space Force looks like the Star Trek badge
- Star Trek: Trump unveils new Space Force logo nearly identical to Starfleet Command
- Donald Trump's Space Force Logo a Star Trek Knockoff?
- U.S. Space Force logo prompts comparisons to 'Star Trek'
- US Space Force logo may look like a Star Trek rip-off, but only if you miss the obvious 'RUSSIAN connection'
- Trump unveils logo for Starfleet ... er, Space Force ... and Trekkers take to Twitter
- Star Trek's George Takei Asks For Royalties From Donald Trump's Space Force Logo
- Trump unveils Space Force logo, draws Star Trek comparisons
- Is Trump's Space Force Logo a Ripoff of Starfleet's From 'Star Trek'?
- Star Trek legend George Takei demands royalties after seeing US Space Force logo
- Trump tweets new Space Force logo. 'Star Trek' fans think it looks familiar.
- Trump's new Space Force logo looks awfully familiar to Star Trek fans
- Trump's Space Force Debuts Logo, Draws 'Star Trek' Comparisons
- Trump unveils Space Force logo
- U.S Space Force Issues Statement That the Origin of Their Seal Is Not Star Trek
- Space Force Renames Unit After Star Trek's Spock
- Star Trek: Elon Musk Proclaims Space Force Launch the Beginning of Starfleet