Is Trump’s Space Force Logo a Copycat of Starfleet’s From ‘Star Trek’? (Sure Looks Like It)
Proving that there is no idea so bad it can’t easily be made worse, on Friday the Trump administration unveiled the logo for the Space Force branch of the military, and it pretty much looks just like one of the most iconic elements of the “Star Trek” franchise.
Compare and contrast: On the left side of the image above is the logo for Space Force (which, for those of you wondering, is part of the air force and not actually a separate branch of the military); and on the right is the emblem of Starfleet Command, the scientific and military space force for the United Federation of Planets.
The logo is probably where the resemblance between Space Force and Starfleet ends, unless we’ve completely misjudged Trump that is. It’s unlikely Trump actually is trying to create a post-scarcity, post-money utopia founded on principles of peaceful coexistence, shared abundance, secularism, science, and equality like the one depicted in the TV shows and films set in the “Star Trek” universe.
Now, in fairness, the new Space Force logo is actually based on the preexisting Air Force Space Command logo, which was established in 1982 and rendered obsolete by Space Force. Here’s what that looks like:
Even so, that logo was invented a full 16 years after the first season of “Star Trek,” and in the same year “Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan” was a huge hit for Paramount, and between you and us, it’s impossible to look at it and not immediately think of “Star Trek.” And if anything, the Space Force logo only makes the similarities to the Federation military symbol even more obvious. So until we hear otherwise we’re going to assume this was absolutely intentional.
Of course, there’s another possibility we haven’t considered: What if we’re the evil alternate universe where “evil goatee Spock” comes from? Just kidding.
Space Force going boldly where no copyright has gone before comes just a week after the widespread ridicule that greeted the unveiling of its first official uniforms, which are camouflaged just like terrestrial military uniforms. The official Space Force Twitter account later clarified that it “is utilizing current Army/Air Force uniforms, saving costs of designing/producing a new one. Members will look like their joint counterparts they’ll be working with, on the ground.” It’s an admirable commitment to cost-savings that has been extended to their logo.
Representatives for CBS, which owns the rights to “Star Trek,” did not immediately respond to a request for comment from TheWrap.
More on this: 25 stories
- Star Trek: Picard: The Last Best Hope Book Review
- Space Force is looking for ideas 'in good taste' on what it should call its members
- Donald Trump's US Space Force logo is spookily similar to Starfleet Command's
- Star Wars Star Mark Hamill Has the Best I Got Kicked Out of Space Force Response Ever
- Trump unveils new Space Force logo (yes, it looks like something from 'Star Trek')
- Trump's Space Force Logo Looks a Lot Like the Star Trek Insignia
- Star Trek fans mock Donald Trump after he unveils new Space Force logo
- Trump presents new Star Trek-style logo for Space Force
- The logo for Donald Trump's US Space Force looks like the Star Trek badge
- Star Trek: Trump unveils new Space Force logo nearly identical to Starfleet Command
- Donald Trump's Space Force Logo a Star Trek Knockoff?
- U.S. Space Force logo prompts comparisons to 'Star Trek'
- US Space Force logo may look like a Star Trek rip-off, but only if you miss the obvious 'RUSSIAN connection'
- Trump unveils logo for Starfleet ... er, Space Force ... and Trekkers take to Twitter
- Star Trek's George Takei Asks For Royalties From Donald Trump's Space Force Logo
- Trump unveils Space Force logo, draws Star Trek comparisons
- Star Trek legend George Takei demands royalties after seeing US Space Force logo
- Trump tweets new Space Force logo. 'Star Trek' fans think it looks familiar.
- Trump's new Space Force logo looks awfully familiar to Star Trek fans
- U.S. Space Force Logo Looks A LOT Like Star Trek's Starfleet Logo
- Trump's Space Force Debuts Logo, Draws 'Star Trek' Comparisons
- Trump unveils Space Force logo
- U.S Space Force Issues Statement That the Origin of Their Seal Is Not Star Trek
- Space Force Renames Unit After Star Trek's Spock
- Star Trek: Elon Musk Proclaims Space Force Launch the Beginning of Starfleet