Star Trek fans mock Donald Trump after he unveils new Space Force logo
The new US Space Force logo is gaining traction for its similarity to Star Trek's Starfleet Command logo, with many mocking the logo on social media.
The Pentagon’s new US Space Force is not Star Trek’s Starfleet Command, but their logos bear a striking similarity.
President Donald Trump unveiled the Space Force logo on Friday, writing on Twitter that he had consulted with military leaders and designers before presenting the blue-and-white symbol.
It features an arrowhead shape centred on a planetary background and encircled by the words “United States Space Force” and “Department of the Air Force.”
The logo, which bears the date 2019 in Roman numerals, is also similar in design to that of Air Force Space Command, from which Space Force was created by legislation Mr Trump signed in last month.
Space Force is the first new military service since the Air Force was created in 1947.
It is meant mainly to improve protection of US satellites and other space assets, rather than to put soldiers into orbit to conduct combat in outer space.
The idea became a regular applause line for Mr Trump at his political rallies. He originally wanted a Space Force that was “separate but equal” to the Army, Navy and Air Force, but instead Congress made it part of the Department of the Air Force.
“After consultation with our Great Military Leaders, designers, and others, I am pleased to present the new logo for the United States Space Force, the Sixth Branch of our Magnificent Military!” Mr Trump wrote.
George Takei, who played Mr. Sulu in the original “Star Trek” TV series and films, tweeted in response, “Ahem. We are expecting some royalties from this.”
The main duty of Space Force is to improve the protection of US satellites and other space assets, rather than to put officers in orbit.
More on this: 838 stories
- 'Star Trek: Picard' Easter Eggs from the Borg Episode
- Star Trek: Picard Makes A Huge Change To The Galaxy
- Star Trek: Picard Just Changed The Galaxy In A Major Way
- Star Trek Picard prequel novel reveals who took over the Enterprise
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Responds to Concerns About Show's Violence and Darkness
- Ryan: Seven Trying To Survive In The Alpha Quadrant
- Star Trek Reveals A TNG Character Became Enterprise Captain After Picard
- Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen's Friendship Explained in Wired Clip
- Star Trek: Picard Explains Why The Show's So Dark And Violent
- Jeri Ryan Says She Loves Who Seven's Become On Star Trek: Picard
- Walter Koenig Calls Star Trek a 'Respite' From Trump
- Star Trek: Picard Reveals the New Captain of the Enterprise
- Picard Mocks Star Trek Creator's Problems With Casting Patrick Stewart
- Patrick Stewart Explains How He and Ian McKellen Became Inseparable
- Star Trek: Picard Originally Didn't Include Jonathan Frakes' Riker
- Star Trek: Picard Finally Reveals The Enterprise's New Captain
- Jonathan Frakes Says Star Trek: Picard Could Never Have Been Made Under Gene Roddenberry
- Jonathan Frakes on Borg Bond, Roddenberry Legacy
- Star Trek Author Dayton Ward Reveals the Secrets of Kirk Fu
- Star Trek Writer Comments on the Future of the Relaunch Timeline
- Star Trek: Jonathan Frakes Says Picard Scene Would Never Have Happened Under Gene Roddenberry
- Frakes' Favorite Star Trek: Picard Scene
- Picard: Frakes Says Star Trek Creator Would Have Hated His Episode
- Star Trek: Discovery Season 3 Wraps Filming
- Star Trek: Picard Gets Star Trek's Economics Wrong