Space Force or Star Trek? Trump unveils new logo nearly identical to Starfleet Command logo
Trump's new Space Force logo is seemingly beamed up straight from the Enterprise. The president revealed the official logo for the Space Force in a tweet on Friday, and people were quick to point out its striking resemblance to the iconic logo for Starfleet, the space force for the United Federation of Planets in the "Star Trek" universe.
"After consultation with our Great Military Leaders, designers, and others, I am pleased to present the new logo for the United States Space Force, the Sixth Branch of our Magnificent Military!" Trump tweeted, along with a photo of the new design.
The design has what appears to be Starfleet's delta spaceship symbol at its center, surrounded by the familiar blue globe, white stars and swooshed rings.
The Space Force, the sixth and newest branch of the armed forces created to handle threats in space, was made official last month when Congress passed a $738 billion military bill. Mr. Trump has pushed for its creation throughout his presidency.
Former "Star Trek" cast member George Takei was quick to respond to the controversial logo. "Ahem. We are expecting some royalties from this," he tweeted Friday afternoon. CBS, which owns the logo, did not immediately comment.
John Noonan, a former national security adviser and former member of the Air Force, pointed out that the Space Force logo is likely based on a long-standing Air Force Command logo.
In 2018, the Trump Make America Great Again Committee polled voters on their preferred Space Force logo. Several of those options appeared to be NASA-inspired, but none of them resemble the logo ultimately chosen.
Hopefully, the next time future members of the Space Force see Mr. Trump, they'll greet him with a Vulcan salute.
The new series "Star Trek: Picard" on CBS All Access sees the return of Sir Patrick Stewart as Jean-Luc Picard, the character he made famous almost two decades ago in "Star Trek: The Next Generation." The 10-episode series premiered Thursday, with new episodes available each week.
Disclosure: CBS All Access is a ViacomCBS property, as is CBS News.
More on this: 25 stories
- Star Trek: Picard: The Last Best Hope Book Review
- Space Force is looking for ideas 'in good taste' on what it should call its members
- Donald Trump's US Space Force logo is spookily similar to Starfleet Command's
- Star Wars Star Mark Hamill Has the Best I Got Kicked Out of Space Force Response Ever
- Trump unveils new Space Force logo (yes, it looks like something from 'Star Trek')
- Trump's Space Force Logo Looks a Lot Like the Star Trek Insignia
- Star Trek fans mock Donald Trump after he unveils new Space Force logo
- Trump presents new Star Trek-style logo for Space Force
- The logo for Donald Trump's US Space Force looks like the Star Trek badge
- Donald Trump's Space Force Logo a Star Trek Knockoff?
- U.S. Space Force logo prompts comparisons to 'Star Trek'
- US Space Force logo may look like a Star Trek rip-off, but only if you miss the obvious 'RUSSIAN connection'
- Trump unveils logo for Starfleet ... er, Space Force ... and Trekkers take to Twitter
- Star Trek's George Takei Asks For Royalties From Donald Trump's Space Force Logo
- Trump unveils Space Force logo, draws Star Trek comparisons
- Is Trump's Space Force Logo a Ripoff of Starfleet's From 'Star Trek'?
- Star Trek legend George Takei demands royalties after seeing US Space Force logo
- Trump tweets new Space Force logo. 'Star Trek' fans think it looks familiar.
- Trump's new Space Force logo looks awfully familiar to Star Trek fans
- U.S. Space Force Logo Looks A LOT Like Star Trek's Starfleet Logo
- Trump's Space Force Debuts Logo, Draws 'Star Trek' Comparisons
- Trump unveils Space Force logo
- U.S Space Force Issues Statement That the Origin of Their Seal Is Not Star Trek
- Space Force Renames Unit After Star Trek's Spock
- Star Trek: Elon Musk Proclaims Space Force Launch the Beginning of Starfleet