US Space Force logo may look like a Star Trek rip-off, but only if you miss the obvious ‘RUSSIAN connection’
President Donald Trump rolled out the fresh logo in a tweet on Friday, immediately triggering comparisons to the iconic sci-fi series and its fictional space force, Starfleet. The similarities were hard to miss.
“Sure the Space Force and Star Trek have the same logo but everyone knows Star Trek has all sorts of time travel going on,” one user said, providing some plausible deniability. “Obviously they went back in time and stole it. That's why Trump is suing Captain Kirk.”
George Takei – who played Mr. Sulu in the original Star Trek series in the 1960s, now a vocal critic of the president – also weighed in, chastising the copycats behind the new logo.
With all eyes on Starfleet, however, some netizens dug a layer deeper and discovered another possible inspiration for the new symbol, albeit a nonfictional one.
“Actually has anyone compared the US Space Force logo with the Russian Space Force logo? They both have that pointy spaceship thing in the middle,” one user observed.
Amid the frenzy of comparisons, another commenter urged calm, pointing out that a similar “pointy spaceship thing” has been used in various iterations in logos for space agencies around the world, including NASA.
The new logo is not the first time Space Force has drawn mockery on the internet. After introducing its new uniform last week – featuring a green woodland camouflage pattern – it wasn’t long before the jokes started flying, with many wondering how forest camo would conceal America’s new astro-troopers against the black expanse of space. However on that count, instead of taking another note from Starfleet, with its fluorescent uniforms, it might be prudent to return to the drawing board.
Like this story? Share it with a friend!
More on this: 25 stories
- Star Trek: Picard: The Last Best Hope Book Review
- Space Force is looking for ideas 'in good taste' on what it should call its members
- Donald Trump's US Space Force logo is spookily similar to Starfleet Command's
- Star Wars Star Mark Hamill Has the Best I Got Kicked Out of Space Force Response Ever
- Trump unveils new Space Force logo (yes, it looks like something from 'Star Trek')
- Trump's Space Force Logo Looks a Lot Like the Star Trek Insignia
- Star Trek fans mock Donald Trump after he unveils new Space Force logo
- Trump presents new Star Trek-style logo for Space Force
- The logo for Donald Trump's US Space Force looks like the Star Trek badge
- Star Trek: Trump unveils new Space Force logo nearly identical to Starfleet Command
- Donald Trump's Space Force Logo a Star Trek Knockoff?
- U.S. Space Force logo prompts comparisons to 'Star Trek'
- Trump unveils logo for Starfleet ... er, Space Force ... and Trekkers take to Twitter
- Star Trek's George Takei Asks For Royalties From Donald Trump's Space Force Logo
- Trump unveils Space Force logo, draws Star Trek comparisons
- Is Trump's Space Force Logo a Ripoff of Starfleet's From 'Star Trek'?
- Star Trek legend George Takei demands royalties after seeing US Space Force logo
- Trump tweets new Space Force logo. 'Star Trek' fans think it looks familiar.
- Trump's new Space Force logo looks awfully familiar to Star Trek fans
- U.S. Space Force Logo Looks A LOT Like Star Trek's Starfleet Logo
- Trump's Space Force Debuts Logo, Draws 'Star Trek' Comparisons
- Trump unveils Space Force logo
- U.S Space Force Issues Statement That the Origin of Their Seal Is Not Star Trek
- Space Force Renames Unit After Star Trek's Spock
- Star Trek: Elon Musk Proclaims Space Force Launch the Beginning of Starfleet