Two Next Generation Characters Are Being Left Out Of Star Trek: Picard Season 1
After a rather lengthy wait, Star Trek: Picardfinally premiered earlier this week, and we couldn’t be happier. Sure, there are a few Trekkies who have taken issue with the new series, but generally speaking, it’s struck a chord with critics and fans alike. At the time of writing, it boasts an impressive 94 percent on Rotten Tomatoes with an average audience score of 82, and over on Metacritic, it’s currently sitting at a comfortable 77.
There’s plenty to like with the new series then, but for longtime franchise fans, one of the biggest allures is the chance to see key characters from The Next Generation back on the small screen. Leading up to the show’s premiere, we already knew that Data, Riker, Troi, Hugh and Seven of Nine would be making appearances, but there were a couple of characters whose fate was left a mystery.
Now, a recent report from TV Line (via ComicBook.com) has shed some light on two fan favorites. Specifically, it looks like Michael Dorn and Levar Burton won’t be returning as Worf and Geordi La Forge, at least for the first season. Apparently, the show’s producers wanted to appeal both to fans who’ve seen every episode of The Next Generation as well as those who haven’t watched a single one.
However, we shouldn’t lose all hope just yet. After all, Patrick Stewart himself has gone on record to say that he hopes that all the main characters from TNG will make an appearance at some point, so we might just have to remain patient. Thankfully, Stewart seems to be speaking genuinely on the matter, too, seeing as how he publicly invited Whoopi Goldberg to reprise her role as Guinan in the second season.
So, while Star Trek: Picard might not be the perfect nostalgia trip fans had hoped for, it might still fill that role in future seasons.
More on this: 836 stories
- Star Trek Author Dayton Ward Reveals the Secrets of Kirk Fu
- Star Trek Writer Comments on the Future of the Relaunch Timeline
- Star Trek: Jonathan Frakes Says Picard Scene Would Never Have Happened Under Gene Roddenberry
- Frakes' Favorite Star Trek: Picard Scene
- Picard: Frakes Says Star Trek Creator Would Have Hated His Episode
- Star Trek: Discovery Season 3 Wraps Filming
- Star Trek: Picard Gets Star Trek's Economics Wrong
- Star Trek: Picard Episode 5
- Star Trek: Yesterday's Enterprise Almost Had a Much Darker Ending
- Star Trek: Picard Almost Didn't Bring Back Jonathan Frakes as Will Riker
- Star Trek: Picard's Riker Appearance Breaks a Star Trek Actor Record
- Star Trek: Picard's New Doctor Is Already More Important Than You Think
- Star Trek 4 Director Reportedly Doesn't Want Original Cast To Return
- Star Trek: Seven of Nine's Tragic Picard Story Deserves Its Own Spinoff
- New Star Trek Movie, Two More TV Shows Confirmed In Development
- Star Trek: Picard Subtly Reused Voyager's Theme Tune Perfectly
- Star Trek: Picard Confirms DS9's [SPOILER] Is On Freecloud
- The 'Picard' Scene 'Star Trek' Creator Gene Roddenberry Would Hate
- Soul of Star Trek: Star Trek's End?
- One New Star Trek Movie And Two TV Shows Confirmed To Be In Development
- Star Trek: Picard Kills Off a Pivotal Franchise Character
- Enterprise BARELY edges Voyager as most underappreciated show
- Star Trek Finally Confirms A Major Character's LGBTQ Status
- Star Trek: Picard Gives Raffi A Tragic Backstory
- "Star Trek: Picard" Season 1 "Stardust City Rag" [Review]: Powerful Turn