Star Trek: Picard Is Already Breaking Records For CBS All Access
I had high hopes for Star Trek: Picard. I’ve been a Next Generation fan since I was a kid and Patrick Stewart’s courageous, intellectual and kind leader is my ideal of what a Starfleet captain should be. But I did fear that the show ran the risk of being too self-indulgent and relying on nostalgia alone. Thankfully, then, the first episode absolutely blew me away: combining a great performance from Stewart, a compelling mystery to solve and – unexpectedly – some really great fight scenes.
It seems I’m not alone in my excitement, either, as CBS is reporting a record number of new sign-ups to CBS All Access last week, the highest since February 2009. Of course, there’s no knowing whether new customers are signing up specifically for Picard (the network also promoted The 62nd Annual Grammy Awards and NFL Football), but it’s also setting new records for total streams, beating out the previous record set by Star Trek: Discoveryby more than 180% and becoming the most-watched premiere ever on CBS All Access.
Chief Digital Officer Marc DeBevoise explained the following:
Personally, I can’t wait to see where they’re going with Picard. Given how good Stewart is in the role, I’d quite happily watch him just potter around his vineyard with his adorable dog Number One. But knowing that we’ve got a whole interstellar adventure ahead of us that’s primed to show us the new status quo for Star Trekmakes me incredibly excited. The only downside is a confirmation that we won’t get any Worf this season (or Geordi La Forge). But with season 2 already confirmed, let’s hope they pop up there.
More on this: 836 stories
- Star Trek Author Dayton Ward Reveals the Secrets of Kirk Fu
- Star Trek Writer Comments on the Future of the Relaunch Timeline
- Star Trek: Jonathan Frakes Says Picard Scene Would Never Have Happened Under Gene Roddenberry
- Frakes' Favorite Star Trek: Picard Scene
- Picard: Frakes Says Star Trek Creator Would Have Hated His Episode
- Star Trek: Discovery Season 3 Wraps Filming
- Star Trek: Picard Gets Star Trek's Economics Wrong
- Star Trek: Picard Episode 5
- Star Trek: Yesterday's Enterprise Almost Had a Much Darker Ending
- Star Trek: Picard Almost Didn't Bring Back Jonathan Frakes as Will Riker
- Star Trek: Picard's Riker Appearance Breaks a Star Trek Actor Record
- Star Trek: Picard's New Doctor Is Already More Important Than You Think
- Star Trek 4 Director Reportedly Doesn't Want Original Cast To Return
- Star Trek: Seven of Nine's Tragic Picard Story Deserves Its Own Spinoff
- New Star Trek Movie, Two More TV Shows Confirmed In Development
- Star Trek: Picard Subtly Reused Voyager's Theme Tune Perfectly
- Star Trek: Picard Confirms DS9's [SPOILER] Is On Freecloud
- The 'Picard' Scene 'Star Trek' Creator Gene Roddenberry Would Hate
- Soul of Star Trek: Star Trek's End?
- One New Star Trek Movie And Two TV Shows Confirmed To Be In Development
- Star Trek: Picard Kills Off a Pivotal Franchise Character
- Enterprise BARELY edges Voyager as most underappreciated show
- Star Trek Finally Confirms A Major Character's LGBTQ Status
- Star Trek: Picard Gives Raffi A Tragic Backstory
- "Star Trek: Picard" Season 1 "Stardust City Rag" [Review]: Powerful Turn