Star Trek: Picard Has a Sneaky Discovery Connection
Star Trek: Picard is the second new Star Trek series to debut on CBS All Access. The series is a follow-up to Star Trek: The Next Generation that once again follows former Captain Jean-Luc Picard. Star Trek: Picard's debut comes on the heels of Star Trek: Discovery, a series that was a prequel to Star Trek: The Original Series in its first two seasons. Being more than a century apart on the Star Trek timeline, the two shows don't share much in common, but the second episode of Star Trek: Picard, titled "Maps and Legends," did include a hard-to-notice Easter egg reference to Discovery. Mild SPOILERS for "Maps and Legends" follow.
Towards the end of "Maps and Legends," Picard pays a visit to his former first officer, Raffi Musiker. In order to get to Raffi's remote home, Picard takes a taxi shuttle.
But this taxi shuttle may look familiar to fans of Star Trek: Discovery. As the folks over at TrekCore noticed, the taxi is the same kind of shuttle that was used aboard the USS Discovery. Take a look below.
This makes a lot of sense. In our reality, military-grade technology often becomes available in consumer-grade variations at some point. With 100+ years having passed between Discovery and Picard, it makes sense that a shuttle that was once fit for Starfleet is now used for more mundane, civilian pursuits.
As for whether we'll see any more significant connections between Picard and the third season of Discovery, which will take place 800+ years further into the future than Picard, we put that question to Star Trek's head producer, Alex Kurtzman. He remained guarded with his answer for fear of spoiling the story.
"They are on the same timeline, but the Federation has changed much more radically in Discovery than it has on Picard, and you’ll see that," Kurtzman said. "I’m trying not to spoil anything for you.”
Picard and Discovery will have an off-television crossover in an upcoming expansion of the video game Star Trek Online. The Legacy update celebrates 10 years of Star Trek Online by bringing together Picard's Jeri Ryan as Seven of Nine and Discovery's Sonequqa Martin-Green as Michael Burnham in the game for two new episodes.
What do you think of this Discovery Easter egg in Star Trek: Picard? Let us know in the comments. New episodes of Star Trek: Picard debut Thursdays on CBS All Access. The third season of Star Trek: Discovery will premiere on CBS All Access in 2020.
Disclaimer: ComicBook.com is owned by ViacomCBS.
Did you know ComicBook.com has a podcast? That's right folks, ComicBook Nation is available every Wednesday and Friday bringing you the best breakdowns of the week's biggest news from Kofi Outlaw, Matt Aguilar, Janell Wheeler & the rest of the staff at the site. Catch the newest episode right here or subscribe on iTunes today!
More on this: 827 stories
- Star Trek: Yesterday's Enterprise Almost Had a Much Darker Ending
- Star Trek: Picard Almost Didn't Bring Back Jonathan Frakes as Will Riker
- Star Trek: Picard's Riker Appearance Breaks a Star Trek Actor Record
- Star Trek: Picard's New Doctor Is Already More Important Than You Think
- Star Trek 4 Director Reportedly Doesn't Want Original Cast To Return
- Star Trek: Seven of Nine's Tragic Picard Story Deserves Its Own Spinoff
- New Star Trek Movie, Two More TV Shows Confirmed In Development
- Star Trek: Picard Subtly Reused Voyager's Theme Tune Perfectly
- Star Trek: Picard Confirms DS9's [SPOILER] Is On Freecloud
- The 'Picard' Scene 'Star Trek' Creator Gene Roddenberry Would Hate
- Soul of Star Trek: Star Trek's End?
- One New Star Trek Movie And Two TV Shows Confirmed To Be In Development
- Star Trek: Picard Kills Off a Pivotal Franchise Character
- Enterprise BARELY edges Voyager as most underappreciated show
- Star Trek Finally Confirms A Major Character's LGBTQ Status
- Star Trek: Picard Gives Raffi A Tragic Backstory
- "Star Trek: Picard" Season 1 "Stardust City Rag" [Review]: Powerful Turn
- May 2020 IDW Publishing Star Trek Comics
- 'Picard' Explained: Grief Continues to Spread Throughout 'Stardust City Rag'
- "Star Trek: Discovery" Season 3: Federation as "La Résistance"? [Key Art]
- Star Trek: Picard References TOS' Retconned First Federation
- Star Trek: 10 Best Mirror Universe Characters
- Star Trek: Picard - Icheb and the Fenris Rangers, Explained
- Star Trek: Discovery Reveals New Key Art for Season 3
- Star Trek: Picard Confirms That A Fan Favorite Character's LGBTQ