Star Trek Discovery And Section 31 Updates Have Me Excited And Concerned All At Once
Star Trek is a semi-passion of mine. I am not a Trekkie as such, a mega fan (I know a few), but I am still a fan of Star Trek in general. For me though, Star Trek suits a long form serialised format on TV best. I have not enjoyed either of the three movies in J.J. Abrams rebooted Kelvin Timeline. I have however, mostly enjoyed both seasons of Discovery and I really like the first few episodes of Picard even more.
As we move through the inaugural season of Picard the production wheels are rolling along for Discovery Season 3. There are definitely going to be some huge changes to that show now that they have moved 1000 years into the future. This season they will be so far outside of what is considered canon that it should give them a hell of a lot more freedom to craft stories. This benefit was echoed by Discovery showrunner Alex Kurtzman when he spoke to Space.com recently.
I do think that Discovery would have been a much better show if it was not set in the past, having to tread that canon so carefully. I am therefore really looking forward to Season 3 of Discovery and seeing where things go. Conversely, Kurtzman also offered an update on Section 31, (if that ends up being the actual title). Section 31 is due to begin filming after Discovery Season 3 wraps, and Kurtzman gave this update.
RELATED: Star Trek: Picard, The Gentlemen & Star Wars: Duel of the Fates | Breaking Geek Radio: The Podcast
And when casting for the show should take place?
Here is the thing: as much as like these new Star Trek TV shows, I have serious concerns over Section 31. I honestly think the idea of Section 31 and their introduction into Star Trek canon was a bad idea to begin with. For those that do not know, Section 31 are basically the CIA of Starfleet, with less moral boundaries. The in-universe explanation for the group, is that even a society such as The Federation needs unscrupulous allies, something I disagree with.
The least enjoyable aspect of Discovery Season 2 was the Section 31 content. I am therefore glad they won’t be anywhere near Season 3. I have an active dislike for the character of (former Emperor) Philippa Georgiou. That’s not a slight against actress Michelle Yeoh, even though I’m not her biggest fan. Instead, it is the character I dislike, and the way she is written. The fact she comes from that idiotic mirror universe, (where Starfleet happens to meet their ‘always evil’ doppelgangers, usually sporting a beard or some stereotypical villain trademark) is I think what annoys me about the character of ‘Emperor’ Georgiou. Right now, I just cannot get excited by a show starring her, and a lot of other morally grey characters from back in that early Trek period.
Of course, I could be wrong, and I hope I am. I will check Section 31 out when it eventually hits. I just have the feeling it’s not going to tick the boxes for me. Picard on the other hand, deep moral questions being asked, good performances, imaginative story structure, and the right dose of nostalgia that does not get into fan service, more of that please for this Trek fan.
What do you think of Kurtzman’s comments, do you agree with me about Section 31, and Philippa Georgiou? Beam down below for the usual intelligent discourse, or just some banter.
Don’t forget to share this post on your Facebook and Twitter using the buttons at the top! Or you can react to the post down below.
Have you checked out LRM Online’s official podcast feed yet The LRM Online Podcast Network, which includes our flagship podcast Los Fanboys, our premiere podcast Breaking Geek Radio: The Podcast, and our morning show LRMornings? Check it out by listening below. It’s also available on all your favorite podcast apps!
More on this: 827 stories
- Star Trek: Yesterday's Enterprise Almost Had a Much Darker Ending
- Star Trek: Picard Almost Didn't Bring Back Jonathan Frakes as Will Riker
- Star Trek: Picard's Riker Appearance Breaks a Star Trek Actor Record
- Star Trek: Picard's New Doctor Is Already More Important Than You Think
- Star Trek 4 Director Reportedly Doesn't Want Original Cast To Return
- Star Trek: Seven of Nine's Tragic Picard Story Deserves Its Own Spinoff
- New Star Trek Movie, Two More TV Shows Confirmed In Development
- Star Trek: Picard Subtly Reused Voyager's Theme Tune Perfectly
- Star Trek: Picard Confirms DS9's [SPOILER] Is On Freecloud
- The 'Picard' Scene 'Star Trek' Creator Gene Roddenberry Would Hate
- Soul of Star Trek: Star Trek's End?
- One New Star Trek Movie And Two TV Shows Confirmed To Be In Development
- Star Trek: Picard Kills Off a Pivotal Franchise Character
- Enterprise BARELY edges Voyager as most underappreciated show
- Star Trek Finally Confirms A Major Character's LGBTQ Status
- Star Trek: Picard Gives Raffi A Tragic Backstory
- "Star Trek: Picard" Season 1 "Stardust City Rag" [Review]: Powerful Turn
- May 2020 IDW Publishing Star Trek Comics
- 'Picard' Explained: Grief Continues to Spread Throughout 'Stardust City Rag'
- "Star Trek: Discovery" Season 3: Federation as "La Résistance"? [Key Art]
- Star Trek: Picard References TOS' Retconned First Federation
- Star Trek: 10 Best Mirror Universe Characters
- Star Trek: Picard - Icheb and the Fenris Rangers, Explained
- Star Trek: Discovery Reveals New Key Art for Season 3
- Star Trek: Picard Confirms That A Fan Favorite Character's LGBTQ