“Star Trek: Picard” S01E03 “The End is the Beginning”: Borg Research Expands, Fan Fav Returns [PREVIEW]
Following the events of “Maps and Legends” in the CBS All Access series Star Trek: Picard, we find Jean-Luc (Patrick Stewart) dealing with some harsh realities and adversity he looks to face. Both Picard and the Federation are right in their feelings and actions following the events of the Romulan supernova.
Before we take a look at the promo and overview for this week’s “The End is the Beginning”, let’s take a look back at the road that lead to here:
“Star Trek”: Picard and Federation Clash
Picard tried to abide by Starfleet’s humanitarian principles leading a mission to save the remaining survivors with Romulus gone. The Federation through Admiral Kristen Clancy (Ann Magnuson) is also right not risking civil war or implosion when contested internally. The rescue operation went to a halt when synthetics on Mars malfunctioned, killing their biological coworkers. The subsequent synthetics ban prevented the building of the fleet.
Unwilling to commit any further additional resources, the anti-Romulan contingent remained steadfast in their conviction. The Federation acquiesced and Picard tenured his resignation in disgust. Following Picard’s airing of grievances with Federation media, his former employer naturally refused his request for a ship and crew to investigate a Romulan-synthetic conspiracy.
The Romulans in conjunction with the Federation scientific community researched and experimented with the remnants of a Borg cube. Severed from the Collective, researchers extract tech from drones and repurposed them to post-Borg lives should the subject survive. The former drones who survive the procedure join the Nameless. In the preview shown of the upcoming episode in the recap show “Ready Room”, a major former Borg figure re-emerges in Hugh (Jonathan Del Arco). Looking far more human than his last appearance on Star Trek: The Next Generations, Hugh appears to be a prominent figure in the Borg-Romulan research given his interaction with Soji (Isa Briones).
New Investigation Developments
Meanwhile on earth, Picard and the good Dr. Jurati (Alison Pill) discover any physical trace of Soji’s twin sister of Dahj (Briones) scrubbed from local databases during their investigation. Sensing Soji’s in danger imminent danger, Picard discovers from Moritz Benayoun (David Paymer), his doctor from his days on the U.S.S. Stargazer, of his looming terminal illness. Whatever forces at work in the Federation-Romulan co-conspiracy, Jean-Luc turns to plan B in former colleague and Starfleet officer Raffi Musiker (Michelle Hurd) for help with a warp-capable ship.
Not wanting to drag his old crew from the Enterprise on his new adventure, Picard seeks to recruit those who can help with the whereabouts of Soji and cyberneticist Bruce Maddox. Will he find the rest of his crew before they take off? What do you think Hugh’s role is in the research among the free Borg? Will Picard and company get to Soji before it’s too late? Will we finally see Seven (Jeri Ryan)?
About Tom Chang
I'm a gamer, sci-fi and fantasy fan. film and TV snob. I love to write and read the classics. Anything you want to talk about, I'm here to entertain or at least pretend to be interested.
More on this: 836 stories
- Star Trek Author Dayton Ward Reveals the Secrets of Kirk Fu
- Star Trek Writer Comments on the Future of the Relaunch Timeline
- Star Trek: Jonathan Frakes Says Picard Scene Would Never Have Happened Under Gene Roddenberry
- Frakes' Favorite Star Trek: Picard Scene
- Picard: Frakes Says Star Trek Creator Would Have Hated His Episode
- Star Trek: Discovery Season 3 Wraps Filming
- Star Trek: Picard Gets Star Trek's Economics Wrong
- Star Trek: Picard Episode 5
- Star Trek: Yesterday's Enterprise Almost Had a Much Darker Ending
- Star Trek: Picard Almost Didn't Bring Back Jonathan Frakes as Will Riker
- Star Trek: Picard's Riker Appearance Breaks a Star Trek Actor Record
- Star Trek: Picard's New Doctor Is Already More Important Than You Think
- Star Trek 4 Director Reportedly Doesn't Want Original Cast To Return
- Star Trek: Seven of Nine's Tragic Picard Story Deserves Its Own Spinoff
- New Star Trek Movie, Two More TV Shows Confirmed In Development
- Star Trek: Picard Subtly Reused Voyager's Theme Tune Perfectly
- Star Trek: Picard Confirms DS9's [SPOILER] Is On Freecloud
- The 'Picard' Scene 'Star Trek' Creator Gene Roddenberry Would Hate
- Soul of Star Trek: Star Trek's End?
- One New Star Trek Movie And Two TV Shows Confirmed To Be In Development
- Star Trek: Picard Kills Off a Pivotal Franchise Character
- Enterprise BARELY edges Voyager as most underappreciated show
- Star Trek Finally Confirms A Major Character's LGBTQ Status
- Star Trek: Picard Gives Raffi A Tragic Backstory
- "Star Trek: Picard" Season 1 "Stardust City Rag" [Review]: Powerful Turn