Star Trek: Picard Showrunner on Why the 'Future' Looks So Familiar
Star Trek: Picard showrunner Michael Chabon addressed fans' concerns over the use of modern technology in the sci-fi web series.
Chabon posted a video/slideshow on Instagram answering some questions he received from fans about the series. "You’re a Star Trek Fan watching Star Trek: Picard. You have questions," he wrote in the caption.
One of the questionsChabon was asked related to the use of technology. The series show characters wearing sunglasses and earbuds, yet they don't appear to have modernized at all in the future timeline Picard is set in. "Even if people use those things in 2399, shouldn't they all be more, well, futuristic?" a fan asked.Click the button below to start this article in quick view. Start now
"You know what? We actually thought about this a lot," Chabon wrote. "When you are making a show that's set in the future, you have to ask yourself constantly how people will be meeting daily needs and everyday tasks."
He continued: "One guiding principle is that some fundamental objects and tools evolve an ideal form - efficient, economical, comfortable, durable, practical, effective, useful - and afterward change very little, except as subject to fashion-which itself is often retrospective."
Chabon concluded the video: "Certainly any human civilization in which all the objects and appurtenances of everyday life were brand new, of recent invention, and thoroughly contemporary in design, would be fairly unprecedented."
Star Trek: Picard stars Patrick Stewart, Alison Pill, Michelle Hurd, Evan Evagora, Isa Briones, Santiago Cabrera, and Harry Treadaway. New episodes of the series premiere every Thursday on CBS All Access.
More on this: 877 stories
- Mount: Neither Lorca Nor Parker
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Reveals What Happened to the Ex-Borg
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Explains Why Riker Wasn't on the Titan in the Finale
- Showrunner Answers Big Questions About Star Trek: Picard Season 2
- 10 Things We're Looking Forward To In Season 2
- Star Trek: Picard: 5 Fan Theories That Came True In Season 1 (& 5 That Still Could)
- Star Trek: The Next Generation Cast Reunite For Quarantine Birthday Party
- O Captain! My Captain! Anson Mount of 'Star Trek: Discovery' dishes on possible return of Capt. Pike
- 'Star Trek' Cast Group Chats to Celebrate Marina Sirtis' Birthday
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Explains How and Why the Show Changes The Borg
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Explains The Show's Approach to Sexuality
- Star Trek: Brent Spiner Shares High Praise for Picard's Finale
- Star Trek TOS: 10 Real-Life Historic References In The Show
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Hints at Series Going in New Directions in Season 2
- Star Trek: Picard's Synthetic Villains Were Disappointing
- Picard: The Show's LGBT Romance Brings Star Trek Into the 21st Century
- Star Trek Discovery Season 3 Teaser Trailer Shows Burnham In The Future
- Stay At Home Edition: Bits & Pieces
- 'Battlestar Galactica' is a Bingeable Feast Eager to Bust Your Gut
- The Challenge for 'Star Trek: Picard' Season 2
- Star Trek: Enterprise's Jonathan Archer reminds us that mistakes happen
- Star Trek: Picard's Finale Finally Brought [SPOILERS] Back To Starfleet
- Star Trek: Picard EP Says Season 2 Will Go In A Different Direction
- Star Trek: 10 Historic Moments In Star Trek That We've Already Lived Through
- Star Trek Picard: What is Will Riker's New Ship?