Star Trek: Picard Almost Didn't Bring Back Jonathan Frakes as Will Riker
Star Trek: Picard is halfway through its first season. It's already brought back classic Star Trekcharacters like Data, Hugh, and Seven of Nine, but there's more to come. Jonathan Frakes is set to reprise his role as Will Riker, Jean-Luc Picard's first officer aboard the USS Enterprise. But Frakes says that Riker's inclusion in the series was a late addition. Frakes directed episodes four and five of Star Trek: Picard, "Absolute Candor" and "Stardust City Rag." While discussing his work behind the camera with IGN, he also touched on his upcoming return to the role of Riker, revealing it almost didn't happen.
“My understanding is that when the series was broken - meaning the first 10 episodes were broken in terms of story - there was no Riker,” Frakes says. “And that somewhere in the writing of the second half of the season, they found a way to include him. That's how it's been explained to me. Because when I was on board when I was doing four and five, as a matter of fact ... I knew [Data actor] Brent [Spiner] was there, obviously, because that was quite clear, because he was in the pilot, and I obviously had Jeri in my episodes, and [Hugh actor] Jonathan Del Arco. But I thought that was the extent of the callbacks to that era. So I was as surprised as you.”
When he did get the call to come back as Riker, Frakes admits he was nervous about it. “And I just spent two episodes watching the condition that Patrick has been in -- he is at the top, he's never really been better, in my opinion. He's in top form,” he says. “And Marina [Sirtis], who plays my TV wife, Counselor Troi, had just closed starring in a play on the West End, so I knew her acting muscles were full and strong. And I thought, ‘If I get f--king buried by my friends, I'm going to be so bitter.' So I spent every morning on the script, so that wouldn't be an issue. But don't let anybody say it's like getting back on a bike, because that's bulls--t!”
There are five episodes of Star Trek: Picard's first season left. Picard's reunion with Riker and Troi can't be far off. That should be an interesting episode for Star Trek: The Next Generation fans. New episodes of Star Trek: Picard become available to stream Thursdays on CBS All Access.
Disclaimer: ComicBook.com is owned by ViacomCBS.
Did you know ComicBook.com has a podcast? That's right folks, ComicBook Nation is available every Wednesday and Friday bringing you the best breakdowns of the week's biggest news from Kofi Outlaw, Matt Aguilar, Janell Wheeler & the rest of the staff at the site. Catch the newest episode right here or subscribe on iTunes today!
More on this: 877 stories
- Mount: Neither Lorca Nor Parker
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Reveals What Happened to the Ex-Borg
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Explains Why Riker Wasn't on the Titan in the Finale
- Showrunner Answers Big Questions About Star Trek: Picard Season 2
- 10 Things We're Looking Forward To In Season 2
- Star Trek: Picard: 5 Fan Theories That Came True In Season 1 (& 5 That Still Could)
- Star Trek: The Next Generation Cast Reunite For Quarantine Birthday Party
- O Captain! My Captain! Anson Mount of 'Star Trek: Discovery' dishes on possible return of Capt. Pike
- 'Star Trek' Cast Group Chats to Celebrate Marina Sirtis' Birthday
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Explains How and Why the Show Changes The Borg
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Explains The Show's Approach to Sexuality
- Star Trek: Brent Spiner Shares High Praise for Picard's Finale
- Star Trek TOS: 10 Real-Life Historic References In The Show
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Hints at Series Going in New Directions in Season 2
- Star Trek: Picard's Synthetic Villains Were Disappointing
- Picard: The Show's LGBT Romance Brings Star Trek Into the 21st Century
- Star Trek Discovery Season 3 Teaser Trailer Shows Burnham In The Future
- Stay At Home Edition: Bits & Pieces
- 'Battlestar Galactica' is a Bingeable Feast Eager to Bust Your Gut
- The Challenge for 'Star Trek: Picard' Season 2
- Star Trek: Enterprise's Jonathan Archer reminds us that mistakes happen
- Star Trek: Picard's Finale Finally Brought [SPOILERS] Back To Starfleet
- Star Trek: Picard EP Says Season 2 Will Go In A Different Direction
- Star Trek: 10 Historic Moments In Star Trek That We've Already Lived Through
- Star Trek Picard: What is Will Riker's New Ship?