Picard Director on Why Star Trek's Creator Would Have Hated His Episode
The freedom of being on a streaming service has allowed Star Trek: Picardto delve into the more morally grey areas than its predecessors. This is a freedom Jonathan Frakes enjoys, though he might know one person who definitely wouldn't.
Speaking to THR, the Trek veteran, who helmed"Stardust City Rag," opened up about the emotionally frank discussions between Seven of Nine (Jeri Ryan) and Picard (Patrick Stewart), noting such a scene would not have been possible on The Next Generation.
"We never could have done [a scene like] this on our show," Frakes explained, citing that Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry believed there would be no conflict amongst "the family, the crew of the Enterprise" in the 24th century. "The scene was mostly worked out with the help of Michael Chabon and our wonderful writers and new additions to the Star Trek family: Akiva Goldsman, Alex Kurtzman, Kirsten Beyers. It's such a simple and beautifully-performed scene between the two actors," he added.Click the button below to start this article in quick view. Start now
Frakes raises a fair point, as what little conflict occurred on The Next Generation and the original series was easily resolvable. Although other series have delved deep into the faults of the Federation, specifically Deep Space Nine, Picard is the first series to confront the space-faring organization and question its mission. It also explores the trauma its main character has suffered, as Picard never fully healed from his assimilation into the Borg.
Star Trek: Picard stars Patrick Stewart, Alison Pill, Michelle Hurd, Evan Evagora, Isa Briones, Santiago Cabrera, and Harry Treadaway. New episodes of the series premiere every Thursday on CBS All Access.
More on this: 877 stories
- Mount: Neither Lorca Nor Parker
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Reveals What Happened to the Ex-Borg
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Explains Why Riker Wasn't on the Titan in the Finale
- Showrunner Answers Big Questions About Star Trek: Picard Season 2
- 10 Things We're Looking Forward To In Season 2
- Star Trek: Picard: 5 Fan Theories That Came True In Season 1 (& 5 That Still Could)
- Star Trek: The Next Generation Cast Reunite For Quarantine Birthday Party
- O Captain! My Captain! Anson Mount of 'Star Trek: Discovery' dishes on possible return of Capt. Pike
- 'Star Trek' Cast Group Chats to Celebrate Marina Sirtis' Birthday
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Explains How and Why the Show Changes The Borg
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Explains The Show's Approach to Sexuality
- Star Trek: Brent Spiner Shares High Praise for Picard's Finale
- Star Trek TOS: 10 Real-Life Historic References In The Show
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Hints at Series Going in New Directions in Season 2
- Star Trek: Picard's Synthetic Villains Were Disappointing
- Picard: The Show's LGBT Romance Brings Star Trek Into the 21st Century
- Star Trek Discovery Season 3 Teaser Trailer Shows Burnham In The Future
- Stay At Home Edition: Bits & Pieces
- 'Battlestar Galactica' is a Bingeable Feast Eager to Bust Your Gut
- The Challenge for 'Star Trek: Picard' Season 2
- Star Trek: Enterprise's Jonathan Archer reminds us that mistakes happen
- Star Trek: Picard's Finale Finally Brought [SPOILERS] Back To Starfleet
- Star Trek: Picard EP Says Season 2 Will Go In A Different Direction
- Star Trek: 10 Historic Moments In Star Trek That We've Already Lived Through
- Star Trek Picard: What is Will Riker's New Ship?