Star Trek: Picard Just Brought Back Another TNG Star In A New Role
Star Trek: Picard season 1 reached its penultimate episode today. Titled “Et in Arcadia Ego,” it featured the return of another The Next Generationicon. We’ve already seen them on this show in a small recurring presence, but this time they were portraying a new character, one with ties to their most recognizable role.
Yes, episode 9 saw the comeback of Brent Spiner, debuting as the son of Data’s original creator, Dr. Noonian Soong. The outing followed Picard and his crew traveling to Soji’s home planet of Coppelius to escape the Romulans on their tail. Here, Jean-Luc was surprised to find a world of synthetic lifeforms, led by their creator Alton Soong, the hitherto-unknown progeny of the aforementioned cyberneticist. Just as Spiner doubled up his roles to play Noonian Soong on TNG, here he portrayed Alton. In an ironic twist, he was covered up with extreme old age make-up as Soong back in the day but now, he gets to play his son with his own face, while his performance as Data utilizes CGI to de-age him.
After the Federation banned synthetic life, Alton secretly carried on his work on the backwater planet he called Coppelius, exceeding even what his father accomplished with the help of Bruce Maddox. The result was a whole population of androids as highly sophisticated as Data. They formed a paradise on this world – the Arcadia that the title refers to – but this has been disrupted by the arrival of Picard and the incoming Romulan attack.
This is the fifth character besides Data that Spiner has played in the Trek universe. In TNG episode “Brothers,” he debuted as both Soong and Data’s evil brother Lore. In Nemesis, he appeared as an earlier prototype for Data, B-4, a character whose dismantled parts have been viewed on Picard. Finally, there’s the villainous Arik Soong, one of Noonian’s ancestors, on Enterprise.
Expect more from Spiner as Alton Soong in Star Trek: Picard‘s season finale, next Thursday on CBS All Access.
More on this: 877 stories
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Reveals What Happened to the Ex-Borg
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Explains Why Riker Wasn't on the Titan in the Finale
- Showrunner Answers Big Questions About Star Trek: Picard Season 2
- 10 Things We're Looking Forward To In Season 2
- Star Trek: Picard: 5 Fan Theories That Came True In Season 1 (& 5 That Still Could)
- Star Trek: The Next Generation Cast Reunite For Quarantine Birthday Party
- O Captain! My Captain! Anson Mount of 'Star Trek: Discovery' dishes on possible return of Capt. Pike
- 'Star Trek' Cast Group Chats to Celebrate Marina Sirtis' Birthday
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Explains How and Why the Show Changes The Borg
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Explains The Show's Approach to Sexuality
- Star Trek: Brent Spiner Shares High Praise for Picard's Finale
- Star Trek TOS: 10 Real-Life Historic References In The Show
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Hints at Series Going in New Directions in Season 2
- Star Trek: Picard's Synthetic Villains Were Disappointing
- Picard: The Show's LGBT Romance Brings Star Trek Into the 21st Century
- Star Trek Discovery Season 3 Teaser Trailer Shows Burnham In The Future
- Stay At Home Edition: Bits & Pieces
- 'Battlestar Galactica' is a Bingeable Feast Eager to Bust Your Gut
- The Challenge for 'Star Trek: Picard' Season 2
- Star Trek: Enterprise's Jonathan Archer reminds us that mistakes happen
- Star Trek: Picard's Finale Finally Brought [SPOILERS] Back To Starfleet
- Star Trek: Picard EP Says Season 2 Will Go In A Different Direction
- Star Trek: 10 Historic Moments In Star Trek That We've Already Lived Through
- Star Trek Picard: What is Will Riker's New Ship?
- Don Cheadle will play "the bad guy" in Space Jam 2 according to Paul Scheer