Star Trek’s Evan Evagora wants to explore Elnor’s sexuality in season 2
Star Trek: Picard will see one of its leading characters tackle their sexuality and sexual awakening in season 2 of the sci-fi show.
The fantasy series and its fandom has previously embraced the IDIC (Infinite Diversity, Infinite Combinations) moniker as the members of Starfleet travel through time and space.
However, queer representation has been noticeably missing in Picard, and showrunner Michael Chabon has announced he plans to fix that going forward.
Speaking on his Instagram stories during a fan q+a, Michael declared: ‘You’re right, there has been a relative lack of emphasis there,’ but added that he wanted the storyline to be organic when it emerges, with an arc planned for season 2.
He then said: ‘Their sexualities, or rather our understanding of them, emerged and evolved over the course of the season, as our actors moved into and began to inhabit their roles.’
Evan Evagora, who played Elnor, then added: ‘Growing up in a very sheltered environment I’m not sure he’s had the time to fully explore his sexuality.
‘But [it] would be interesting to delve into that at some point.’
Elnor is a warrior Romulin who Picard (Sir Patrick Stewart) saved amid the supernova that claimed their planet, and has since been raised in Vashti, becoming a swordmaster but being kept in a secluded environment.
In a previous chat with Metro.co.uk on the red carpet at the London premiere of Picard, he said: ‘He’s a Romulan boy, he was raised in a sect of all female warrior nuns. He’s got a pretty cool looking sword and he’s a pretty good hand and combat.
‘I found myself, having watched the shows, previously I was given a list of episodes to watch – but once I got the script I found myself having to kind of throw some things out the door that I learned about Romulans.’
‘I mean, my character wasn’t raised in a traditional way the Romulans normally were,’ he added.
‘So it was a bit interesting learning new things about Romulan culture and learning the language.’
But now that he’s going out on his own, is he about to find love?
Star Trek: Picard streams on Amazon Prime Video, with new episodes every Friday in the UK.
Got A Story?
If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us email@example.com calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.Home › Entertainment › TV
More on this: 877 stories
- My favourite film aged 12: Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Reveals What Happened to the Ex-Borg
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Explains Why Riker Wasn't on the Titan in the Finale
- Showrunner Answers Big Questions About Star Trek: Picard Season 2
- 10 Things We're Looking Forward To In Season 2
- Star Trek: Picard: 5 Fan Theories That Came True In Season 1 (& 5 That Still Could)
- Star Trek: The Next Generation Cast Reunite For Quarantine Birthday Party
- O Captain! My Captain! Anson Mount of 'Star Trek: Discovery' dishes on possible return of Capt. Pike
- 'Star Trek' Cast Group Chats to Celebrate Marina Sirtis' Birthday
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Explains How and Why the Show Changes The Borg
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Explains The Show's Approach to Sexuality
- Star Trek: Brent Spiner Shares High Praise for Picard's Finale
- Star Trek TOS: 10 Real-Life Historic References In The Show
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Hints at Series Going in New Directions in Season 2
- Star Trek: Picard's Synthetic Villains Were Disappointing
- Picard: The Show's LGBT Romance Brings Star Trek Into the 21st Century
- Star Trek Discovery Season 3 Teaser Trailer Shows Burnham In The Future
- Stay At Home Edition: Bits & Pieces
- 'Battlestar Galactica' is a Bingeable Feast Eager to Bust Your Gut
- The Challenge for 'Star Trek: Picard' Season 2
- Star Trek: Enterprise's Jonathan Archer reminds us that mistakes happen
- Star Trek: Picard's Finale Finally Brought [SPOILERS] Back To Starfleet
- Star Trek: Picard EP Says Season 2 Will Go In A Different Direction
- Star Trek: 10 Historic Moments In Star Trek That We've Already Lived Through
- Star Trek Picard: What is Will Riker's New Ship?