Star Trek: Picard’s Finale Finally Brought [SPOILERS] Back To Starfleet
Star Trek: Picardreached its debut season finale this week, and it proved to be an enormously popular episode with the fans. For one, there wasn’t a dry eye in the house as Jean-Luc succumbed to his terminal illness – and was subsequently reborn as an android – and Data received a final farewell. There were some big punch-the-air moments as well, though, including the return of another classic The Next Generation character to Starfleet. None other than Jonathan Frakes’ Will Riker.
Riker and wife Deanna Troi first returned for episode 7, “Nepenthe,” when Picard and Soji visited their home on the eponymous planet. This outing saw the old friends discuss Riker’s retirement from active service, with Jean-Luc’s former Number One remarking that it would take something truly important to get him back in uniform. Well, that time finally came in the season finale, when Riker travelled to Coppelius to lead a squadron of Starfleet ships.
With the synth/Romulan war about to kick off, Picard bravely led a one-man stand against the whole of the latter’s armada of warbirds. He could only do so much, though, before things started looking dire. But, just in the nick of time, Starfleet arrived. And at the head of the fleet was the Curiosity-class USS Zheng He, a state-of-the-art vessel commanded by Captain Riker himself.
Riker and the might of Starfleet rattled Commander Oh and the Romulans enough for Picard to find the time to convince Soji to destroy the beacon that contacts the powerful synths from another dimension who’ll wipe out all organic life in the galaxy. With the Romulans now having no back-up, Oh surrenders and the day is saved. Riker then tells Picard afterwards that he requested temporary reassignment when he heard Jean-Luc’s SOS.
Here’s hoping we have more of Riker in Star Trek: Picard season 2.
More on this: 421 stories
- Ron Moore Talks Abandoned "Star Wars" Series
- How Star Trek' Saved 'Mission: Impossible 2'
- Agents of SHIELD: LMD Coulson Is Nothing Like Star Trek's Data
- CBS Reportedly Planning A Spock And Kirk Star Trek Spinoff
- Star Trek Introduces The MULTIVERSE'S Federation: How It's Different
- Redshirt fans are excited for new series, Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
- Why Star Trek: Enterprise's Series Finale Is So Hated by Fans
- Star Trek: Discovery's Original Promise Fulfilled By New Show
- Star Trek: 5 Rumored Projects Fans Would Love To See (& 5 They Wouldn't)
- John Krasinski's YouTube series “Some Good News” is moving to CBS All Access
- Simon Pegg reveals heartbreaking reason Star Trek 4 may not happen
- NASA May Have Just Confirmed a Parallel Mirror Universe (Yes, Really)
- Simon Pegg Says Star Trek Movies Will Never Be As Successful As Marvel Films
- Collider Connected: Watch Our Live Interview with Ronald D. Moore on May 22
- Star Trek TNG: 10 Episode Details You Missed In “The Measure Of A Man”
- Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Ordered to Series for CBS All Access
- Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Can Solve Pike's Mirror Universe Mystery
- Pegg Asked About A New Star Trek Movie
- Star Trek: Voyager to celebrate 25th anniversary on May 26th
- Star Trek May Be Better Off On TV Than Movies, Says Simon Pegg
- Star Trek Movies Will Never Be As Successful as MCU, Says Simon Pegg
- How Star Trek: Lower Decks Fits Into Franchise Canon
- Star Trek: Voyager Reunion Announced
- New Star Trek Movie Update: Simon Pegg on the Likelihood of Star Trek 4
- Goldsman Updates Fans On Picard Season Two